Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Help me pick a dog breed...

765 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Dogsareme 
#1 ·
I have a beagle, which I love except the fact they don't listen to their owners as much as their nose... I want to get another dog and am debating another beagle vs another breed. Here are some traits we do/don't want:

Not a heavy shedder
We like a dog about the size of our beagle, not huge or tiny
Good with children
Easier to train/more obedient than a beagle

If I do get another beagle I want to take her to obedience classes to see if that helps...

Any other dog that might fit this mold? I was thinking of a cocker or springer spaniel, but I worry about the seizure syndrome.

If you have a beagle, does it listen if you call it outside?

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
I know what you mean about beagles barking or howling. There is one two houses down and I can tell when that dog is out. We don't complain though since we have a dog and so does the neighbor inbetween (St. Bernard) and a dog on the other side of the beagle. Now we had a Beagle mix for thirteen years and she wasn't a barker. Loved her. She was a sweet dog.

Whoops. You didn't say anything about barking. Wonder where I got that? Anyway, our beagle obeyed pretty good. I remember training her in the front on the sidewalk and making her stay while I walked far away. Even tested her and drove down the street (constantly watching her all the time) and she passed the test. I think it is like people - some obey and some don't.

#6 ·
If you don't mind the barking, would you consider a Sheltie?

I have Beagles. Would they listen to me offleash outdoors? I don't know. I've never tried. I've put them on retractable leashes and let them explore the outdoors a good distance away from me, and they do return when I call them, but I've never actually taken them offleash anywhere. Not worth the potential outcome in my opinion. Bottom line is, if you're looking for a dog you can take out offleash, a Beagle probably isn't it.

#7 ·
My rat terrier, Mabel, is 1/3 beagle (whippet for the eyes and speed, beagle for the nose and toy fox terrier for tenacious hunting).

She's NEVER off leash outside of our yard. She'd chase a rabbit into the next county. If you saw her indoors you'd think she's the best trained dog in the world. Outdoors is completely different; she pays no attention to anyone...just focused on the hunt.

I suspect beagles are the same way.

#9 ·
I second the poodle. Very smart and you can clip them fairly close all over (and closer on the face and feet) and they look like a lot of other dogs. I dislike the show clips. They are low shedders but the must be clipped once a month. They can learn anything.. just ask Poodleholic.. her dogs are AMAZING.

Poodles are my next most favorite breed after Shepherds and Border Collies.

#10 ·
Try this website! It asks you tones of questions first to match you with your most compatiable dog breeds. It gives you your tops 5 with pictures, then if you scroll all the way down it lists 10 more that would be suitable. I really enjoyed it and I fould it was one of the most through dog match-up tests I have ever seen or taken. For one it includes all the breeds of dogs and gives you more then one match. Lots of good information is also available on this page.

http://dogtime.com/matchup/start

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.