Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to the forum and a new puppy owner. I have a 5 month old Cocker Spaniel named Mason. Can someone please help me get Mason to calm down when he see's my cat, he does the play bow when he see's the cat but I'm pretty sure the cat doesn't know what that is:rolleyes:. I don't want my puppy to get hurt I try to keep them separated but as soon as Mason sees the cat trys to break free from me. I have him leashed to me all day and I feel bad that all I can do to calm him down is put him in the crate:(. Please help..Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
How did you handle the introductions? Did you use baby gates to keep them separate...let them sniff each other through the gate, get used to seeing each other, etc? That's the first step.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
What you are doing is part of the solution. The other part of the solution is to let Mason know the cat is Off Limits.. and he is YOUR cat. One way to do this is to get between MAson and the cat and lean over Mason, into his space and "cha Cha" into his space. You will have to repeat this a few times. You are letting your body language convey to Mason that the cat is yours, you control access to the cat and he is not to bother the cat.

You should also redirect his attention when he focuses on the cat. Best to do this at the very start of his trying to get to kitty.. Teach him to do something more appropriate, like lie down and wait or stay until released.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you are doing is part of the solution. The other part of the solution is to let Mason know the cat is Off Limits.. and he is YOUR cat. One way to do this is to get between MAson and the cat and lean over Mason, into his space and "cha Cha" into his space. You will have to repeat this a few times. You are letting your body language convey to Mason that the cat is yours, you control access to the cat and he is not to bother the cat.

You should also redirect his attention when he focuses on the cat. Best to do this at the very start of his trying to get to kitty.. Teach him to do something more appropriate, like lie down and wait or stay until released.
Thank you, I have allowed them time to check each other out behind a closed gate. We have had Mason for about 2 1/2 months now the cat has lost all interest in him but Mason wants to play with him. I will diffently get in between the two to teach him that the cat is mine and he cannot touch him.

I have one more question how do you get your puppy to stay? Mason will stay at tops for 5 seconds and then he is off and running.

Thank you

·
Registered
80 Posts
To get the puppy to be in a stay postion really falls on training. It takes a little while and patience to teach the dog to stay. My dog learned about the Stay and Wait (they both really kind of mean different things), during obedience classes.

I also have two cats that my puppy won't leave alone. She wants to play but my cats don't want anything to do with her. After several months of trying to tell her to "leave it" and using the water gun thing...I finally found something that WORKS....pennies-in-a-can. Works great. Now Stardust does leave the cats alone, but if the cats start to take off a little, the pennies get shaken up and I say, "Leave it". I have only been doing this for a couple days, and I already see the results. We can now leave the den door open, and allow the cat to start to come in the den.

So, having said that - certain things work for certain dogs, you just kind of have to try out different things.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts