Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am... new to this forum. I adopted a dog from our local humane society 2 days ago. I know she's a hound mix but I'm just curious what she is mixed with?? I'm posting links to her pictures below.

All I know about her is that she and her 2 sisters were picked up from a rural area and brought to the shelter. All 3 of them were VERY shy - haven't heard a peep out of her in 3 days as far as barking, etc. All 3 of them were extremely skinny. Gracie, the one in the pictures, is only 15lbs. They believed she is between 1-2 years old. You really can't appreciate how skinny she is from the photos - I'm telling you this girl seriously needs some meat on her bones.

I have a 7 year old Beagle at home that I've had since a pup - she is about the same height and a perfect weight (in my opinion) as my new addition- My Beagle, Mandy, weighs 25lbs. She's just right... not too skinny, not too fat.

I honestly don't care that the new one, Gracie, is a mix... obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten her. I would just like to see what others think about what she's mixed with. I'm purely guessing but because of her slender face/snout, her slightly curled (downward tail), and her weight, I'm wondering if she couldn't be mixed with a Whippet or Italian Greyhound. That would help me to know whether she's just extremely underweight or partially because of her breed.

Anyway, just curious - love her sooooo much in just 3 short days!! We're going to the vet this afternoon and we'll ask him - just wanted to see what others thought :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bIi3ERoeEW9l-UuO8JTLjQ?authkey=Gv1sRgCK-Cw-7dmN2HTg&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/S2om0_Rd-k2foxhe8ajUPw?authkey=Gv1sRgCK-Cw-7dmN2HTg&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3ZWbUW1I8PA-Sd8-qHkGbw?authkey=Gv1sRgCK-Cw-7dmN2HTg&feat=directlink

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The first one I can see that she is under-weight. You are wonderful for taking her in. And trust me, when she is more comfortable, you will wish she wasn't so vocal...just you wait and see.

Don't have any guesses on breed but she sure is cute. :D

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
She is adorable. Good for your for taking her in. :)

Is it possible that she's just a badly bred beagle? I've seen alot of dogs that look like that, and most were referred to their owners simply as beagles. My only other guess would be maybe just a pinch of Jack Russell Terrier.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Aww she is adorable! I see some beagle in her. But I am really no good at this kind of thing. Congrats!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm not too good at this, but let me try anyway.

The first thing that popped into my mind was Jack Russell Terrier, mostly because of her coloring. I would say, possibly, Dachshund, only because the face with the long snout looks remarkably like my Susie. Either that, or possibly beagle, but beagles' snouts tend to be a bit wider.

Either way, she looks precious! Congratulations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's help and thoughtful comments! Yes, she is definitely a cutie and I love her so much already. Just gotta get her out of her shell some more but she's SLOWLY coming around. She gets a TINY bit braver each day. I went home at lunch today to check on her and she actually picked up her 1st toy and took it into her crate - not a big thing but for her, it was a HUGE thing. I couldn't get her to pick up toys or get interested in them at all for the first 2 days so to me, its a big accomplishment. She's just so incredibly shy around people.

I spoke with the person who adopted one of her sisters yesterday only to learn that she returned her dog to the shelter yesterday. She took her dog to her vet yesterday and the vet told her the dog had central nervous system damage and that is why hers was so skiddish, etc.

I took mine to my own vet yesterday as well and my vet didn't have any concerns other than that she needs food, love and shelter - no health problems that my vet saw. Now I didn't ask the vet about central nervous system damage or anything like that because I didn't now about it to ask at the time.

I asked the other lady how her vet determined central nervous system damage and she said the vet told her due to her behavior (not from bloodwork or anything like that). The news obviously scared me because if the vet thinks the animal has central nervous system damage because of the dog's behavior, then mine must have it too... only because the 2 dogs act EXACTLY the same (when they're alone and not around other dogs). I personally think her vet didn't know what she was talking about and that the dogs just have severe separation anxiety from being away from one another. I truly understand returning the dog was the best thing for HER - she just had to put another dog down a short while ago - too painful to go through that all over again so soon should there be a problem. Regardless, even if I found out today that mine had a short while to live - I'm still keeping her... my theory is at least I'll know she has a safe loving home for the remainder of her days - which hopefully will be many, many, many years.

The only difference between our two dogs is the fact I have another dog at home. The other woman did not. Both dogs are just totally despondent if there isn't another dog around. I'm fortunate to have my 7 year old beagle at home to show Gracie the ropes and Gracie is in LOVE with her. Mandy, the beagle, isn't quite so sure of Gracie yet but I truly believe in time she will come around. It's only been 2 days.

On a good news front though, my vet said my Gracie put on 6 ounces in 2 days - great news considering how tiny she is and said her spay incision looks great and she should be just fine - I'll pray he's right!

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh, wow, that's too bad. It sounds like that lady just wasn't able to cope with a possible bad outcome right now, which is so sad for both of them. I hope she feels better soon and that that other doggie gets another chance.

My older puppy, Ruby, is a rescue from extreme neglect/abuse. She was tied up in the snow and rain with no food or water and abandoned when owners moved. The neighbors would occassionally feed her. Why they didn't call animal control, I will never know!! She was rescued and fostered for 2 months. She has taken lots of patience due to this but it's so rewarding to see her come out of her shell.

I wish you luck -- but Gracie looks like such a sweetie, I'm sure she won't give you any trouble at all. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts