Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently completing my courses to be a certified dog trainer and instructor, I am now looking for some real experience. What I am looking for is anyone who has a training issue, big or small, to reply to this, send me a message or an email. I would like to give advice based on what I have learned and get feed back on how it worked, also feedback from other trainers of maybe other ideas that could help solve some of the training issues.

In short I benefit by getting some experience and you benefit with training advice. I hope there are at least a few people willing to help me out.

I will obviously be reading the threads in this topic and prolly responding to some of them but I thought I would get one started of my own that people can talk directly to me on about their issues.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
What I am looking for is anyone who has a training issue, big or small, to reply to this, send me a message or an email. I would like to give advice based on what I have learned and get feed back on how it worked, also feedback from other trainers of maybe other ideas that could help solve some of the training issues.
No better way to do this than to jump into an open topic. As a soon-to-be credentialed trainer (with admittedly limited experience), it's probably best to have others to bounce ideas off of. Training theory often falls down in practice (even good theory) for a variety of reasons. It's natural and normal for a newly minted whatever to defend his/her hard won knowledge--even to the exclusion of things that work better.

Where I work, we tell the newbies, fresh out of school, to forget what they taught you, pay attention, and DON"T TOUCH ANYTHING! Not that there's no value in what you learned; just much less than you think now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you serious? You are completing your Courses to become a certified Dog Trainer/Instructor ..... and now looking to aquire "real experience"??? What is the duration of the "real experience" before certification?

Presumably you attended theory and written Classes - Were the Students encouraged to bring their own dogs with them into the Class-Room, (even though no active/practice work or demonstrations were required)?

What experience of training dogs have you had?

OK, so a common scenario, dog follows Owner around indoors, so that wherever the Owner goes, the dog is there too. The Owner finds this frustrating, what do you advise?

If an Owner were to tell you that their dog objected to being touched in just one certain place on his/her body (and health reasons were ruled out) - how would you explain why this was to the Owner?

Belda

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You are now entering a new world of learning, it's time to let the dogs teach you.
I agree, I have had no formal training in dogs, but I have been I to them for about 20yrs. I love watching dogs & learning from them & their interactions with their own kind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts