Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I posted this in the rescue forum and had no luck there (no replies) so I'm posting it here in the hopes someone can help me out...

I'm new to these forums (just joined) and this is my first time owning a dog where it is my sole responsibility. She is a five-year-old rescue who is the sweetest pooch ever. Her name is Violet and is so very well behaved! The only problem is it's hard to pinpoint the breeds in her. She is definitely mixed, and she looks like a chihuahua in the face but she is much too large for a chihuahua. She is 13 pounds and measures about two feet from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail. She is long hair, and has a fluffy coat that is slightly wavy but doesn't stick out too much. Here's two photos of her:

So whaddya think?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I was gona say looks like a chihuahua to me but 13 lbs is huge. Pictures that show her at other angles, especially from the side, would help. It's hard to do much with just face pictures.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Cute!!

To me she looks primarily chihuahua, but yeah, 13 pounds is pretty large. Then again, my parents have a pure bred yorkie that is too big for her breed.

My parents chihuahua/rat terrier is around 20 pounds, but I don't see any terrier in your dog.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I second the chihuahua/pom mix I know one that is ~ 10 lbs so not far off.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
definitely at least some chihuahua there. 13lbs . . . don't puppy mills and such breed them big to make breeding easier overall? so a 13lb chi isn't out of the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Looks very Chihuahua to me too, and a Pom cross makes the most sense as it is so common.

I've seen MANY Pomeranians in the 10 - 15 pound range, and MANY Chihuahuas over 10 pounds. In every small dog breed to keep small sizes breeders HAVE to select the smaller of the pups in the litter. There are always bigger ones, and if those are bred forward on then naturally their offspring will be even bigger. I know of litter siblings in Cavaliers that have been half the size of one another - 9 pounds and 18 pounds - full grown.

SOB

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I am going with the pom/chihuahua cross. I have several chihuahuas and no, I do not breed them. They range from 4 pounds to the 12 pound mark. Being oversize is a common problem with the toy breeds. She can even be all chihuahua. Some owners are not concerned with breed standards and breed their dog in hopes of making some money-hahaha. Without knowing her background you may never know. What matters the most is that she is working out for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts