Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we finally managed to change our parents opinion and there is a good chance we could get a dog. There is just one problem. We need to come up with a dog breed that we will all agree on. I have been searching the internet for one for the last few days, but sadly without much success. That's why I came here to consult the experts 馃槃
Overall we are looking for a very average breed (as far as size and looks go especially) but it's very important to us that the dog is cool around children. We have small yard (about 800 m2) and live at the edge of the city, so we can go for a walk/run pretty much every day.
My initial go to was Pit Bull Terrier but that was vetoed by mom as looking too dangerous. The same goes for German Shepard (but that one is kinda too big anyways). Sadly couldn't change her mind 馃槙

Registered
Why not go with a lab? They are great family pets, are good with kids, and easy to train (especially for those with little dog experience).

Registered
Another vote for Labrador. There is a reason they are so popular, and that's because they are a good choice for a wide variety of situations. One thing I would caution about though, is to steer clear of the really hardcore working/hunting lines if you aren't prepared to put in a lot of work training and keeping them engaged.

Registered
If you're not set on any particular breed and your requirements as far as exercise level, coat type, and temperament are fairly relaxed, I'd suggest checking out local shelters and rescues to see if any of their dogs look good to you. There are a lot of medium-sized breeds and mixes that could be good with kids, and if a dog's in a foster home, the person keeping it will have a good idea of its temperament.

Registered
If you can find a 2- 5yo Lab rescue that was released because of owner hardship, and is already good with kids and pets, you may have the ideal companion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts