Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here goes!

I adopted a gorgeous 6 month old black lab mix from the shelter 8 days ago. She is so well behaved. Completely calm and submissive, shows no signs of aggression, fear, or nervousness. She's very relaxed. She's great with not pulling on her leash, I've worked at not having her walk in front of me, she's basically just an overall greatly behaved dog.

However, she seems very lethargic. Will sleep all night, and generally all day. If she's not out for her walk, she basically sleeps. She rarely plays. Maybe once every 2 or 3 days for about 30 mins or so. Sometimes I try to initiate play, and sometimes she goes for it, most of the time though, she's just not interested. She 'can' get energetic sometimes when she's on her walks, or when she's playing with other dogs, but even when walking she typically hangs back behind me and lags to the point where we're walking pretty darn slow. In the last few days, she's started to hesitate on her walks more and more. She'll lay down or pull back like she doesn't want to go. Once we coax her a bit or re-direct with scent she generally gets up and keeps moving, but it seems to be happening more and more recently.

Is this normal for a puppy of her age? Aren't labs supposed to be a huge bundle of non-stop energy? Is she bored? Depressed?

She's gravitated to us nicely. She likes hanging out with us. We give her lots of cuddles, and she seems to enjoy them. She was a little clingy when we first got her but I assumed this normal because she lost her family and then again at the SPCA. Now it seems the opposite. She's SO independant that I wonder if she's miserable, bored, or simply doesn't like us.

My wife and I are very good at calm assertive energy. Our house is typically very relaxed and quiet. That is also our energy. Often one of us is not here so it tends to be very quiet here most of the time. I thought calm assertive energy is good for dogs, but in this case, I wonder if it's making her bored.

My main concern is her walks. I 'WANT' her to enjoy her walks. But it seems that lately she just doesn't ever want to go. She never gets excited about them, and I don't like it when she tugs or lies down when walking. And it worries me, especially since she's a puppy, and a lab. Just doesn't seem normal.

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I should also mention, that she had no accidents since we got her 8 days ago. But now all of a sudden, she's had two today. No change in diet, and I KNOW she can hold it longer than 2 hours. She's not even drinking THAT much. Normal amount.

Edit2: I have a strong suspicion that she has/will have hip dysplasia. She shows quite alot of the symptoms. My wife and I love stairwalking for exercise, so we started bringing her along our trips up 18 floors. She seemed to love it. I've since done some reading and found out this is not a good idea for dogs when they're puppies as it could cause hip problems. I fear that's what happened. Upon finding out, we immediately stopped. Is it possible she's really sore and in pain which is causing elimation problems and the reluctance to walk and exercise?

The ONLY strange fear she has, unfortunately for us is of elevators. So for the past week, we've been forced to go up and down 4 flights of stairs everytime she has a walk. Could this be contributing? Today, I resolved to cure her fear of elevators so that we could stop taking the stairs because I know it's not good for her. I tried everything. Coaxing, praise, treats, patience, she would NOT go near the elevator on her own. So finally, I simply picked her up and carried her into it. Spent a few minutes inside giving her treats (but not cuddling and re-inforcing her fear). Just trying to make the elevator a positive experience. She still was very uncomfortable with it. She doesn't like the movement of the elevator going up and down. Has this intense fear that I'm trying to re-habilitate causing her to urinate indoors? Am I making it worse?

Desperate for help, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I WISH! my 5 month old was tired all the time... i know i am! lol. The thing with your puppy sleeping and being tired alot might be because shes going into "Heat" unless she is spade. Other than that I am not to sure because you are right usually puppys are full of energy.. As for the accidents in the house it is common. Shes still a pup they tend to forget sometimes and have oopsies. If this keeps up id recomend seeing a Vet. Or They whole situation could be from the owners before.. they might have treated her not so good no attention no toys can lead a dog to a very dull life.. im sure your puppy will start to gain more energy she might even still be unsure of your house.. She doesnt want to end up in a Shelter again with no family.. give it a couple weeks when she trusts you, you will see the puppy come back out to play. =) Hope that sort of helps you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Firstly... she is still "honeymooning". Our rescue was a perfect angel for the most part for over a month. Now that she is relaxed around us... she no longer heels so well (which I sorely miss and we are working on). I would give her a bit of time.

Secondly... stress may have caused the "accident". Did not say if it was pee or poo, of if it was hidden or what not. If she is unfixed, may be marking if it was pee, if it was diarrhea it can be from stress or food change.

Don't think you did lasting harm with the stairs, I would not fret too much about it.

I WOULD take her for a "meet the vet" check. If she already has all shots, it is nice for them to see vet and think him a good guy from the get go, and blood work may really help make sure she is ok and is not too horribly expensive.

Our rescue is scared to death of most toys and always has been no matter what we tried. Was even scared of treats hitting the floor for MONTHS. Some dogs just have... peculiarities. She is a border collie mix, another "high energy" dog type if ever there was one. I picked her out to do agility with. Her idea of excercize is jumping onto the bed for a nap... unless they make shedding an agility event there is no way she will be going to a trial. She is only 3. But we love her for her laid-back nature and are now thinking of working toward a therepy dog certification instead!

Give your dog time to settle in for a bit. Shelter dogs rarely show their true colors right away. I have seen spaz dogs become mellow as they settle in, and shell-shocked dogs become social butterflies.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I'd make a visit to the vet to rule out some kind of infection (UTI maybe?), parasites, or anything else. The vet should also be able to manipulate her limbs to see if range of motion is good, see if she's in any pain, etc.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
I agree with the Vet visit, besides it is time to get the rabies shot, heartworm check and meds, and to consider spaying.

Under normal circumstances, a 6 mos Lab IS a furry tornado. So, after the Vet rules out physical problems, as GottaLuvMutts suggests, then you can explore the emotional issues that FuzzyButts offered.

BUt, I think you're right - she should be a bundle of energy, but the loss of family and the SPCA may have her 'worried' that you are also a temporary stop... So, keep up the consistency and regular schedule. And let us know....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts