Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is keri and we are due to pick up our 8 week old toy maltipoo puppy soon but the breeder informed me that on the recent victor the vet she found out the puppy has an open fontanel. She said the vet wasn’t worried but I am. The puppy weighs 1.4pz and it’s litter mates are around 2 lbs. he act perfectly normal. Plays and eats good. Will it close or at 8 weeks is it going to stay open? Should I not get the puppy? Should I avoid all puppies from this littler or choose a different one? Thank you!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
I assume you are dealing with a legitimate breeder. You should be able to reject an unhealthy pup. I would suggest to wait the full 8 weeks. Then have the breeder do a follow up visit with the Vet to examine the closure. Then make your final decision.

As a point of interest. What is the weight of the dog? 1.4 oz (ounces) or 1.4 lbs (pounds)?

Meanwhile, I'd begin searching for another pup as a Plan B.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s 1.4 lbs. thank you for your advice. Do you think it would be ok to get one of the littler mates?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
I would wait.

I would also begin the search for another breeder with a litter.

This issue could come from many causes. Do a little research on Canine Fontanel Closure. Then make your decision if you want to continue with this pup or a litter mate or another breeder.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top