Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a boxer/sharpei mix I rescued who is approx 1 yrs old, Sanders. I am at my wits end on what to do with him, he's a beautiful dog with my hubby & I but no one else. He's good with other dogs but not people. He likes to intimidate & will bark & growl constantly. I try to correct the behavior but everything I do doesn't work. I've tried putting him on a leash with a sit/stay, if I chain him outside he barks non-stop, if I put him in another room he tears it apart, he will even growl at us when making a correction. I have not & will not hit him because thats what made him this way from what I have been told & hitting does not teach anything but fear or anger. My grandsons are deathly afraid of him & so are some friends. Those that do not show him fear after a few minutes he is ok with them. But if anyone shows the smallest sign they are afraid of him he gets all macho & it seems like he really gets into intimidating them. He has NEVER bitten anyone, just growls & barks non-stop. Even when they pet him his tail will wag, the whole time he sounds like he's ready to tear them apart. I am having him neutered next week but worry due to his age & agressive demenor this won't help. I don't want to have him put down but don't want him to really hurt someone if he decides to actually bite. Can someone help me please. Thanks to all who respond.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aw, poor dog. I would consult a behaviorist ASAP. And don't allow him near your grandkids until this behavior is stopped. And then, only with supervision. I really hope you are able to help him. I'm not sure what the other members will say, but I've read (in several places, mostly anti-BSL sites) that chaining a dog up increases aggressive behavior. We've never chained a dog, so I don't know this from experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know chaining him up isn't good, i am going to buy a crate today & put him in when people are here at the house. He's such a beautiful dog with so much personality, he loves to play & cuddle with us but no one else. I don't let my grandsons around him but it's not fair to them that I don't have them more often because I don't know what to do with the dog. I can't choose the pup over my grandsons which is what I am doing. We are isolating ourselves for the dog, so who's the smartest, the dog, he has us trained.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
First of all this is not a dog you want to give corrections to.

What you do want to do until you can get to a behaviorist is this.

Nilif. Nilif means 'Nothing in Life is Free'. When you start you are basically hiring your dog for a job. ANYTHING positive in the dog's life he must work for by performing commands. He wants attention...gotta sit first. He wants to go for a walk...gotta do a down for thirty seconds before being allowed out the door...he wants to eat.....you hand feed him ONE PIECE OF KIBBLE everytime he does what you ask whether its sit, down, speak or whatever.

And do the same with EVERY positive thing in his life. Toys and treats and whatever else he loves...he must work for it...

Can you describe his body language while he is being aggressive?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Make sure he is being walked (a business walk...briskly, not stopping to sniff. Keep him at your side on a loose leash, not letting him get ahead of you.), a couple of times a day for about 45 min each time.

A walk like that, works the body and mind. If a dog has too much energy, trying to accomplish anything else is fruitless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts