Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Shih-Tzu Poodle (Loki) for almost 2 years. My wife spoils the crap out of him. We just got Anubis (Coonhound mix) 2 days ago and he's the same age as Loki. Anubis was a stray and stayed at the shelter for 4 months before we adopted him. I have no idea what his past experience is, but he's partially trained. He knew "sit" and "down" when we got him and the employees at the animal shelter said they didn't teach him anything, so I assume he was part of some other family before he was a stray.

However, he doesn't know how to interact with Loki, and Loki is irrationally afraid of him. Anubis tries to play with him, but he doesn't do it tactfully, and Loki responds by "attacking" Anubis.

The video below is how they interact any time Anubis pays any attention to Loki. They can be sitting next to each other and be perfectly fine, as long as Anubis ignores Loki, but the instant Anubis tries to smell Loki or anything, Loki retaliates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxTCN9-US0&context=C32caddcADOEgsToPDskIovv3qKM_QfLloBsvRQwvf

I really don't know what to do to fix this, or if I should even do anything. I don't think either dog is in danger of the other, but it's still rather frustrating.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Your little dog looks pretty stressed out by the big one. I have two small dogs under 20 pounds and two larger dogs over 60 pounds. I keep my small dogs away from the big ones if they are stressed. An accident can happen faster than you can take control of the situation. The big pup just wants to play. The little one, ... well ... it probably looks like a mac truck coming at him! :) I would consider taking them for a walk together to make them friends and maybe not such a threat to the little one. Just my suggestion.

I also would and do not ever leave my home without keeping my big ones in a crate. I also keep them separated when I am not able to supervise their play. I would be horrified and never forgive myself if an accident resulted in the death of one of my little dogs due to their size difference. After all, a little dogs head fits very well inside a big ones mouth!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would put Anubis on a leash when he isn't in a crate to prevent him from doing this to Loki. Loki is telling Anubis to back off because he's afraid, and if Anubis keeps approaching Loki might clue in that his message isn't getting across and escalate to biting. Try something like this to make Loki less afraid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCNAv5aETho&feature=relmfu but substitute vaccume for Anubis. So you could start with Anubis lying down, then sitting, and eventually standing. Basically you want to teach Loki that Anubis isn't so scary after all and is actually pretty great because he means Loki gets treats.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Spoiling the cr*p out of the small dog has nothing to do with dog being scared. The being a small dog in what use to be her own safe territory where now all of a sudden something much bigger, stronger and knocking her around a bit is a big change in her lifestyle. Kinda like a human put in an enclosed area with an adult male Chimpanzee who may or may not want to play or worse. I'm not sure about the weight difference of a Chimp/Human. The size difference between the 2 dogs makes me think substituting a playful (I hope) Gorilla for the Chimp.

Since others have already mentioned the safety issues I won't go further, it's not necessary.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The little one, ... well ... it probably looks like a mac truck coming at him!
This. Anubis looks pretty focused on Loki, and while he might want to play, it sure doesn't look that way from Loki's perspective. That's why he feels like he needs to defend himself. You received some good advice above. Give it a try and see how it goes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
One more thing. The dogs are not properly introducing themselves with the rituals of butt-sniffing, calming signals and all that. Perhaps the larger dog was taken from his mom too soon. He wants to play, but is too invasive of the small ones space. The smaller one might have actually offered a "play bow" at one point, but he is obviously very stressed out.

In any case, try to go back and do it right. Re-introduce them on neutral ground. There is a sticky-thread in the Training forum http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/6755-meet-me-middle-best.html. Read that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts