Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two nights ago bubba threw up his dinner right before I went to bed (about 4 hours after eating). I cleaned it up, gave him about two cups of cooked white rice and we went to sleep. No symptoms between then and this morning- I woke up to some little vomit piles on the carpet at 8:30 am. He was acting fine so I went ahead and fed him (2 cups, normal amount) and got ready to take him to class with me. As soon as I parked he started whimpering and promptly threw up twice in the backseat, the food he had just eaten.

I decided not to take the sick dog to class and instead brought him to the house that im petsitting at so I could watch him. by this time an hour had passed since waking up(9:30) and he threw up twice more on their porch, then drank some water and promptly threw that up too. His vet is right down the street and so I raced him in and after vomiting almost everything else up they took him back to do xrays and bloodwork. This was seriously the most acute thing I've ever experienced- literally all happened in just over an hour.

Luckily bloodwork is fine, he's not septic, he's on IV fluids overnight and then they'll either have to open him up (the xray mass looked too big to do an endoscopy so it would be actual surgery) but theyre going to do another xray tomorrow to see if it looks any different.

please no bashing, we've been working on him being alone without the crate and i already feel like the worst dog owner in the the world right now. :doh: labs eat everything, the assistance dog coordinator luckily was very helpful and sympathetic.

Below are bad iphone pics of the xray. Anyone (sassafras!) have any opinions about whether this looks like just air/intestines or if he might be able to pass it (I think it looks pretty bad but wanted opinions... looks like a sock to me :doh: )Its the C shaped thing near the fundus (bottom left) of his stomach.

and him on his back

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and one more, after visiting him about an hour ago. the lab in the boarding crate next to him is having surgery tonight for eating a sock as well :nono:

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Yeeeaaaa, that looks like something. It all kind of looks like one piece of whatever it is on the view where he's laying on his back, and it looks too uniform to really seem like food or a lot of small somethings. Sorry. :(

And honestly, some days I think it's amazing that any labs ever get through their lives without an exploratory surgery at some point.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ughhhhh I'm kicking myself so hard. The foundation pays for all te vet bills and they said its definitely not the first time it's happened, but still... I think I'm going to make a big donation as soon as I get paid to at least help a little bit.

As far as endoscopy vs actual surgery... I've had an endoscopy before and it wasn't too bad. I wish that's what they could do :( but is the actual incision pretty small? Will this be major surgery?

So much for bragging that he's finally reliable out of the crate for 3-4 hours. I guess he doesn't chew on stuff, he just eats it :)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe .... pooor guy!!! Pooor You!!! Things happen .... I hope all goes well. I will be saying prayers!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Well it will be an abdominal surgery, so "major" in a way although I would call it fairly routine. And the silver lining to the object being in the stomach (if it stays there) is that the tissue is all probably fairly healthy and the surgeon won't have to go hunting for it throughout the intestines, so should be pretty "in and out".

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the vet just called and said that the X-rays this
Morning were good. They think it may have been just bad case of gas - nothing in the intestine this morning.*
Vet may keep him overnight again, hoping they will let me have him back today though. :clap2: fingers crossed! I haven't seen the X-rays from today but keeping fingers crossed! I will let you all know what happens, I guess were not in the clear yet but this was better news than an 8am surgery.

Sass, if he ends up passing it or passing nothing and it was presumably just gas, does this predispose him to gastric torsion? Will I have to be extra cautious ( and I'm already pretty cautious) about exercise/ water consumption?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Hooray!

Sass, if he ends up passing it or passing nothing and it was presumably just gas, does this predispose him to gastric torsion? Will I have to be extra cautious ( and I'm already pretty cautious) about exercise/ water consumption?
Not that I'm aware of or have ever noticed.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Yay!!! And still have fingers crossed! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Oh, bubby, baby, I know the socks/cushions/remotes look tasty, but don't scare mommy like that!

Don't feel bad. I had to have Muggsy opened up to get out an entire teddy bear. With wrapping paper and a bow still on it. Somewhere, a child remembers the Christmas gone horribly wrong.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't feel bad. I had to have Muggsy opened up to get out an entire teddy bear. With wrapping paper and a bow still on it. Somewhere, a child remembers the Christmas gone horribly wrong.
priceless.

I went to go visit him at about 12 today and he was ready to bust out of the vets office and go home. He's eaten twice today (some nasty SD special digestion canned food) about 2 tablespoons and *fingers crossed* no puking. I'm going to go by there after I get off work at 8 and hopefully take him home for the night and bring him back tomorrow morning, but if everything keeps going as planned he'll be home by tomorrow night at the latest.

"mom, seriously, there aren't even any nylabones here and that lab next to me keeps snoring really loud . i promise i wont eat your roommates sock EVER again."

ALSO:: yesterday morning when this was all happening and i was driving him to the vets, the last four puking episodes (two in the car and two at the vets) he was whimpering/yelping right before it actually came up...scary. Could this really have been something as simple as gas and the whimpering was just from a really bad tummyache/gas pressure? When it was happening I was having visions of some sock wrapped around his intestines and him going into septic shock... thank god that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just would like to thank everyone for their good thoughts, because they worked! he came home last night and this morning pooped out some sock/tampon/rope/stuffing/god-only-knows-what hybrid creature. Strangely enough, it was smaller than some other things i've seen him poop out (bits of a kong, the crotch of an underwear)

anyway, everything is good in dogland, aside from the canned iams veterinary formula i'm feeding for the next four days. going from grain free to this crap is giving him some POTENT tiny farts. to its credit though, it doesnt seem nearly as bad as most vet formulas ingredients-wise.

also...when exactly does the :llama: dancing llama smiley come in handy?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yay. Glad he's home and doing well.

Yes, gas can be painful too. My lab was gassy once to the point I was ready to rush her to the vet. She could not get comfortable at all.; lots of whimpering and crying and getting up and down. Turned out to be gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts