Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday bought a six week old dalmatian puppy and named her Disney. We got her on our last day of vacation and brought her home with us. I have a home with a full grown Aussie/Border Collie mix who is friendly with puppies and other dogs, I also have two cats who are also friendly. I realize now after some research that getting her a 6 weeks is bad for the her social development. However her mother had already been given away so she really had the short end of the stick either way. She was outside and I understand that is very bad for dalmatians.To top it off she was born deaf as many dalmatians are. I couldn't leave her there. I have done research on training deaf puppies and the general opinion is that is is more difficult and perhaps more time consuming but very much possible. I am more than willing to help her and train her, but I am at a loss about how best to help her with socializing at this stage in her development. She has had her first set of puppy shots, but I have been told she is still at risk from many diseases. How long should I have her become comfortable at my home before getting her out to socialize, and where should I take her to do that, especially where she won't pick up any diseases? As of right now she is very friendly with people and other animals, she is also very playful and curious, I want to keep her that way. I have a friend with an older chihua/pomeranian puppy. How soon should I set up playdates? I don't want to stress out Disney by introducing her to too many new things when she is still getting used to her new home, but this also seems to be a crucial period for social development. Please, what do I do?
Thank you

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Don't take her out where other dogs may have been until she has had her full series of vaccinations (usually set of 3 2-3 weeks apart). You can have fully vaccinated dogs over for playdays to socialize her, or carry her into petsmart/etc. You do not want to expose her to strange dog's pee. poop, saliva, if you aren't positive they are fully vaccinated and haven't been around sick dogs. I'd carry her into vet's office for shots...that is where sick dogs go, and they aren't protected til fully vaccinated (around 4 mo of age).
Get a vibrating collar to help you train/get her attention. Vibrate, and when she looks at you, treat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts