Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5-year-old Parson Russell is a monster!!

Growing up we tried to train him the best we could so that he could be around other dogs or humans without an issue, but to no avail. We had taken him to puppy training and he learned the basics (sit/stay/drop), but being around other dogs was never dealt with. The dog belongs to my dad and he is very protective of him, so if I try to pet him while he's around my dad he tries to attack myself and even my mother. Last year alone he killed 3 gophers that strayed into our yard and I can only imagine what the kill count will be this year.

PLEASE someone help us!

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
You can't expect a terrier not to kill gophers. That's what terriers were bred for. He has hundreds of years of instinct telling him to massacre small critters. If someone isn't willing to live with a substantial small critter body count they shouldn't get a terrier or other hunting breed.

Aggression against other dogs is also very common in terriers. Is it necessary for him to associate with other dogs? If not, I wouldn't bother working on that.

BUT, those are all very different from aggression toward humans. What exactly does he do? What sets him off? How has this been handled in the past?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The small critter body count isn't really a concern for us, but a gopher did fight back one time and cut up his shoulder.

He really doesn't need to be around dogs, but certain family members of ours bring their dogs over when they visit and he is very aggressive towards them. I really would like to take him to the beach or to a park without him losing his mind when another dog or kid walks by. Also, those same family members with the dogs have a newborn and my dog simply cannot handle when the baby is around. He doesn't attack the baby but he will not leave it alone which brings the anxiety level of both baby and parent.

He has bitten me and my mother several times when we get close to my father. He has nipped my mother several times when she has gone to kiss my dad.

When people pass by our house he goes ballistic and it takes him several minutes to calm down and even then it's a struggle.

It would just be nice to be able to bring him around town without being a menace.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How much exercise and stimulation does he get? Most terriers need a lot, tons, as much as you can give. They also need an outlet for their aggression such as toys to "kill" or playing with a flirt pole. Do you continue to train him? Getting him involved in training and dog sports would help a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He gets extensive walks twice a day and even more so in the summer time. My parents are generally home bodies, so I try to take him on long hikes and to the shore, but that's where we run into problems. He has toys where he has to "work" for the treats, but I do believe he needs much more training.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad is very careful not to bring him to certain places, but when he does he's made comments about how a child came up to say hi and the dog lunged out at him/her and he's certainly worried that the dog would bite someone given the chance.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
You have to expect certain behaviours from terriers. However, sounds like this dog would greatly benefit from consistent and ongoing obedience/agility/trick training. For mental stimulation, but also to make him easier to control in general.

I have a terrier who doesn't like other dogs, but we can be *around* other dogs without him losing it because of his training.

I recommend a reward based class. If you can't get him to a real life class, there are loads of online classes available these days, such as: http://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts