Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I have no personal experience with walnuts but the conventional wisdom is that black walnuts are toxic to dogs and horses. I addition, walnuts sitting on the ground can develop a mold that is toxic to dogs. I don't know a black walnut from an English walnut, so I didn't look at the attachments.

Sorry, I have no suggestions about how to keep them away from a dog.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Its possible the new foster won't show any interest in them anyways. There are walnuts that fall all over around here, although fortunately none really into my fenced yard, and neither of my dogs care about them at all. If you're supervising, you can keep her leashed until you have an idea of her interest in them and have some treats handy in your pocket to trade for if she does grab one.

If she's a determined stuff-off-the-ground eater, a basket muzzle is a safe way to keep a dog from quickly grabbing and eating stuff like that. Annoying to put on and off for quick potty trips so those might be better on a leash, but comfortable enough for a dog to wear while wandering the yard and sniffing and lounging etc. You can give treats through the wire so you can do training while its on. Only for supervised use.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Some years ago, my friend had a neighbor that had a walnut tree. She noticed bith digs having seizures one day. Long story short, we rushed them to the ER with temps over 105. Both survived with a vet bill if over $1,000.
Another friend had a litter of pups outside and all were having seizures. Long story short, green walnuts had fallen in their drinking water.
If you are going to have this dog, I strongly suggest you at least try to fence or block off the area where the walnuts drop or see if your neighbor will let you cut the branches.

·
Registered
935 Posts
All walnut trees are toxic no matter the sub type. You will just need to rake the area and keep the area clear of walnuts.
The wood and other layer is toxic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've had black walnut trees at two different houses and had dogs at both that would crack and eat the nuts. No problems with the dogs. Maybe my dogs didn't dine on moldy ones.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I grew up with three English walnuts in the back yard. This was long enough ago that many dogs were allowed to roam free. Neither our dog, nor the neighbors dogs had any problems with the walnuts.
From what I've read, some of the molds that grow on black and English walnut hulls can be pretty toxic . . . the nuts themselves, not so much. You should be ok if you clean up. Greatest danger is after rains . . . wet is good for mold. The resemblance to tennis balls is only from a human perspective. They smell nothing like tennis balls to a dog, and I'll bet the mouth feel is unpleasant.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
We have walnuts around (usually just the shells that the squirrels have left behind) and we've never had a problem. I don't let the dogs eat them, but the puppy picks up the shells sometimes and it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We have black walnuts from the neighbor's trees that fall into our yard. My dog has never paid them any mind (nor has any of my previous dogs), no matter what degree of decay, from green "tennis ball" stage to black, broken down stage. I try to gather up as many as I can when they fall, though, to help deter the emergence of future sapplings (such messy trees), at least as much as I am able. What I am most concerned with, when it comes to my dog, is when the squirrels tear into the walnuts while perched on the limbs that hang over the yard and drop the very sharp-edged walnut shells onto the lawn, for fear they might cut into Kayla's pads when she is tearing around during a zoomies episode or while playing fetch... so far so good, though, so maybe an unwarranted concern.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts