Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
new to the site . hoping you can all share some expertise.

Trying to identify the breed of this dog. I assume he's a mix, maybe part terrier.
we found him at a highway stop on our travels and gave him over to a shelter. it looks like his owners weren't too eager to find him so we are likely going to adopt him.
would be great to have an idea of what type of dog this is.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm not seeing any pictures.

I like using the photo hosting site Flickr for posting pictures in forum posts. Just upload your pictures to there, then copy the BBCode and paste it into your post here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure of his weight, getting a vet report soon. looks like we're bringing him home in a couple of weeks.
he looks much bigger in the picture than he actually is. i'd say around 20-25 pounds max.
apparently he's a baby. vet thinks about 6 months old.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
He does look huge in that picture. My first thought was Great Pyrenees cross. But is he's only 25 pounds at 6 months, that's pretty small for either a Pyr or Saint.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I do not know the breed.. looks St. Bernard but the weight does not match up.

I will say he is CUTE as can be and looks like a wonderful pet!! Congratulations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, he's a cute boy. originally thought st bernard as well but he's just not that big. I guess you never know.
To me he looked very much terrier, in his face anyway. Has anyone done a dna test? are they accurate at identifying multiple breeds?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
A lot of people here have done DNA tests. Wisdom panel and Embark are two popular ones.

I did Wisdom Panel on two of my dogs. One came back well, with some realistic breeds and only 12% "unknown". The other had realistic breeds, but also states that she is a "super mutt" at 50% unknown heritage. So for her, while the 50% they listed makes sense, it may not have been worth it since we basically still have no idea what she is. But you won't know you have a super mutt until after you send in the test :p I would recommend it for fun versus actually really needing/wanting to know the breed mix. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the responses everyone. I'll likely do the DNA test just for fun.
I'm thinking he really looks like some sort of jack russell terrier. i know he looks huge in the picture, he's not that big :)
Maybe he's a JRT mixed with a bigger breed.
at the end of the day it wont matter, we saved a friendly little pup and we'll just hope he gets along well with our Golden Retriever. (fingers crossed)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts