Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my one year old lhasa apso was pulling on the leash really hard, for a long time, and on training videos it says to pull them back. Larger dogs use choke chains, so I though pulling on a regular lead/collar wouldn't do any harm. The day after he began to, I think, reverse sneeze. He was snorting like a pig with his neck extended, and snorting continuously for 10-15 seconds. He started doing it yesterday morning, once, we went out for a few hours, returned and he had three episode last night. Today, he has already done it twice and it is only 10am. Help! I think all the pulling on the leash has caused this! Omg, have I killed my dog? Or could this be trachea collapse?

·
Registered
871 Posts
first, small dogs like this should really use a harness so that they cant put that kind of pressure on their throat area, bc trachea collapse is far more prevalent in small dogs.

my yorkie kept doing that, and I thought at first that maybe one of my kids had pulled her leash and collar while she was out to potty. But, it got more and more persistent, so I took her to the vet,a nd she actually had infectious tracheitis and needed meds. So if it keeps up, take her to the vet and make sure she isnt sick. and in either case, rather than use a collar, use a harness. There is such a thing as a no pull harness, I just got one for my other small dog, and the front goes across the chest, rather than the neck, so that they dont choke when they pull against you.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There's no need to use leash corrections to fix pulling, you can use a no pull harness, or use treats to teach her to walk next to you.

Reverse sneezing is usually harmless, but can be triggered by pressure on the throat. Small dogs also tend to have delicate tracheas, and pulling can actually cause a collapsed trachea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts