Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm a 26 year old male that lives alone. I have been considering a dog for a short time now and have lately been more intrigued. I would like a small/medium sized dog with short hair. I work 40-60 hours a week, but would devote as much time outside of work to the dog. I have been considering something that is energetic as I like to get outside as well (e.g.- playtime, walks, jogs). A friend of mine has a rat terrier that I have become quite fond of, and I have done some research on those. Hoping to get some opinions on what anybody could suggest to fit my lifestyle.

I work 40-60 hours a week
small/medium sized dog
short hair
can be alone for 8-12 hours a day
energetic dog that likes to get out and exercise

Thanks!
Drake

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
How common are the 12 hour days? 40-60 hours a week is a wide range; there's a big difference between typical 40 hour weeks and typical 60 hour weeks. 60 hours per week plus a bit for commuting time leaves very little time for a dog, especially an energetic breed. Most adult dogs are fine for 8-9 hours alone (crated/indoors) but 12 hours is pushing it and a dog walker or at least a doggie door to a secure yard would be recommended. If the 12 hour days are often, that is either a significant expense or just a lot of time to be alone.

An adult dog would be most suitable, that is a lot of time for a puppy to be alone and would make training difficult. A rat terrier or jack russell may be a good choice, they are fun little dogs and tough too. My suggestion would be to look for a 2-5 year old dog with a rescue that has shown not to be a barker or have issues when left alone. If you live in an apartment, you don't want a barking dog home for 9 hours everyday annoying your neighbors.

And figure at least 30 minutes walk before work and at least 1 hour of activity after work daily (walk, jog, and/or playtime)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your work schedule is awfully heavy to be able to give attention to a dog, IMO. A 60 hour week means 12 hours/5 days a week. You wouldn't be home and awake very long to give a dog much attention, never mind the fact the dog would have to hold it for a long time! Have you considered a cat? They're much more independent and don't require as much attention as a dog.

If you do decide to get a dog, definitely get an adult from a rescue that's already housetrained and has basic training. You also will need to consider hiring a dog walker to take the dog out at lunch time.

Sorry to sound negative; I'm only thinking of the dog's wellbeing.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
An energetic dog is not going to be okay alone 12 hours a day 5 days a week. It's going to be destructive.

Plus, you couldn't possibly devote as much time to the dog as you do to working, there's only so many hours in a day.

That being said, if you can hire a dog walker, you pretty much need my dog. He's a 3-5 year old mixed breed rescue. He's always up for a walk, and would probably love jogging if I were capable of it, but otherwise he's happy lounging on the couch. You certainly do not want a puppy. That is way too much time alone for a baby dog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think maybe a miniature pinscher!

They're very VERY smart dogs, do well in an apartment environment, and have a TON of energy.

Plus, I think they're very beautiful. <3

·
Registered
416 Posts
What is your definition of exercise? Will the dog be inside or outside while you are at work? I would plan on getting an adult dog, being gone for that amount of time everyday is not going to be conductive to housebreaking and behavior shaping for a young pup. If you are set on a purebred dog contact breeders and see if they have any retired brood dogs that they would be willing to adopt out. Or go the shelter route and find a great little friend.

Honestly a terrier or a toy breed will be a great option. Something like a Cavalier King Charles might be a good option. Smart, friendly and happy to be with their people and don't need that much exercise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts