Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm a 26 year old male that lives alone. I have been considering a dog for a short time now and have lately been more intrigued. I would like a small/medium sized dog with short hair. I work 40-60 hours a week, but would devote as much time outside of work to the dog. I have been considering something that is energetic as I like to get outside as well (e.g.- playtime, walks, jogs). A friend of mine has a rat terrier that I have become quite fond of, and I have done some research on those. Hoping to get some opinions on what anybody could suggest to fit my lifestyle.

I work 40-60 hours a week
small/medium sized dog
short hair
can be alone for 8-12 hours a day
energetic dog that likes to get out and exercise

Thanks!
Drake

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Recommending a certain breed is very difficult and not advisable. Each dog will vary within the breed. I could tell you that greyhounds are very lazy, which they are in general, but maybe you'd get the odd duck who ends up being extremely active. Point is, no matter what breed anyone suggests to you, do a *lot* of research about the typical breed characteristics but keep in mind that each dog is an individual that won't fit perfectly into the typical traits. Rat terriers- and most terriers for that matter- have a TON of energy and often get very bored when left alone for so long. They'll make their own fun by chewing, barking, digging, etc.

That said, some breeds that came to mind:
Basenji

Whippet

Boston Terrier (Though if you want a hiking/adventure buddy, get one that has a functional longer muzzle and not one with a flat face. Flat faced dogs tend to have trouble keeping cool and breathing properly which can be dangerous).

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I'd check out what your local shelter has to offer. I would not go with a puppy if you're gone that much, and in researching dog ownership, might look into what doggie daycare or a dog walker will cost you for the days you're working. 12 hrs is a long time for a dog to be alone. If you factor in 8 hrs sleep a night, if you do absolutely nothing else, that's 4 hrs/day with you -- not much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for all the information! Much appreciated! I will be taking in all your considerations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts