Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My female Maltese - Rosie - with a little help from Silky Terrier Daddy - Star - gave birth to three adorable puppies: Spike, Spot and Stella.

They are 4 weeks old now.

While Spot and Stella are great - walking and even running - Spike is dragging his rear legs and cannot stand or walk. There is also an area on his back near his tail where there is a dip - unlike his brother and sister.

I suspect he suffers from Spina Bifida.

Please share any advice and/or recommendation about what can and/or should be done with my puppy Spike.

Thanks so much and Happy Halloween!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
The first thing you need to do, is load them all up, and take them to the vet.
Have Rosie, Star, Spot, and Stella spayed and neutered.
Have a vet go over Spike. If he has spina bifida and you don't do something, he will suffer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HollowHeaven, Sorry... but this is probably the worst reply I have ever received on any forum in my entire life...

A serious reply please... anybody?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sassafras - Come on now... of course I'll take him to the vet!

When I asked for a serious answer I meant: If the vet confirms the Spina Bifida and the puppy will not be able to walk or control his pee/poop, what would you recommend I do.

A serious reply please... anybody?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
That was a serious reply. I'm not sure what makes you think it wasn't? :confused:

Nobody on a forum can evaluate what this puppy's quality of life will be from a post on the internet, even if the diagnosis is confirmed as Spina Bifida. Some puppies might have a terrible quality of life and euthanasia would be a good choice, other puppies might do ok, still other puppies might do great. If he can't control his bowel and bladder he will need an owner who is able to manage expressing his bladder and evacuating his bowels. You may or may not be able to find an owner like that. There are a million things that would go into the decision about what to do, none of which strangers on the internet can evaluate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sassafras - Thanks! ...finally a good and serious answer.

Sincerely thanks!

Anyone else would like to share any advice and/or recommendation about what can and/or should be done with my puppy Spike?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I am not quite sure what answers you expect from a forum. Even if your Vet confirms what is wrong with the puppy, he is the one you should be asking.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I agree with the others; your vet can tell you much more than anyone here can.

It is very likely that this deformity is genetic. Confirm that with your vet. If so, you should not breed the parent dogs again. Intentionally producing puppies with a debilitating genetic condition would be cruel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kyllobernese, Every person with minimum intelligence knows that when an animal has a health problem one takes it to the vet. Stating this here is unnecessary, redundant, superfluous and futile.

Crantastic, I am curious. How did you figure out that "It is very likely that this deformity is genetic"? What are you basing this on?

Happy All Saints' day, - S

·
Registered
294 Posts
"of course I'll take him to a vet!"

Okay, then take him to a vet and communicate these serious issues with him/her. Seriously. We can't do anything for you.

·
Super Moderator
11,547 Posts
Kyllobernese, Every person with minimum intelligence knows that when an animal has a health problem one takes it to the vet.
And yet you haven't done that yet.

Please read the disclaimer in the health forum:

Dog Forums: Dog Health Questions
Caring for your dog's health and well-being aren't always that easy. While our members may have good advice, it is just advice. Please use this section as a resource to discuss "diagnosed" conditions and treatment options for your dog.
*Important - All serious concerns with your dog's health and well-being should be handled by a Veterinarian, so please refrain from asking questions that are best suited for their office.

And choose your next response VERY carefully.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Crantastic, I am curious. How did you figure out that "It is very likely that this deformity is genetic"? What are you basing this on?
Quick search for for spina bifida and other spinal deformities in dogs on veterinary websites. But like I said, when you take the dog to the vet, you should ask if the problem is genetic. Trust the medical professional, not some stranger on the Internet.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
Good. Trust the medical professional who can see and examine your dogs.

I'm curious... do you have photos of this little family of dogs? I'd like to see Spike in particular. Video would be even better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry Crantastic, Due to his medical issue Spike is wearing a diaper and he specifically insisted I do not film him because he is embarrassed... :)

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I see. To be honest, I'm beginning to doubt that he actually exists, but that's probably me just wanting to believe that nobody would be cruel enough to let a puppy suffer for four weeks without taking him to the vet.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I see. To be honest, I'm beginning to doubt that he actually exists, but that's probably me just wanting to believe that nobody would be cruel enough to let a puppy suffer for four weeks without taking him to the vet.
Even though it's totally obvious and should go without saying that the puppy should see a vet?! :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
trainingjunkie , Crantastic , you guys are fascinating... especially when considering how your CNS (mal-) functions...

"So the other 4 week old puppies are house-trained and not in need of a diaper?" - Is this a serious question? Do you want me to answer this?

"To be honest, I'm beginning to doubt that he actually exists, but that's probably me just wanting to believe that nobody would be cruel enough to let a puppy suffer for four weeks without taking him to the vet."

- Do you want me to answer this too?

- What do you suppose puppies do for the first 3 weeks? -S

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.