Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just sold my dog golden retriever for 400 off kijiji and 2 people came down and agreed and wrote me a cheque for 300 and gave me 100 upfront and they left then msged me in the mornin and told me they cancelled the cheque un til i contact them and they told me my dog had worms n was really sick which i wasnt aware of so they requested to either send me 50 to my account and they keep him or they bring him back and we repay the 100 which i didnt have at the time. they said whatever we will put 75 in your account and forget the situation, theres was nothing i could do so i spoke with my brother and he suggested i take legal action, because something about infringing a verbal contract. i dont know the law here in ontario canada, which is why im posting this, i wanna know if anyone here knows what to do.. so far all ive done is threatened them a subpoena and told them they infringed our verbal contract and they stopped replying. i need help. but they owe me $225 for my dog, which i truly miss, and me and charlie need justice!

i know that i cant take em to court because it will cost me more than id get outta it, but i want this money back, because i didnt even get back what i originally paid for him. if i cant do anything, i need to send them a msg and property damage that lets them know it was me without it being legally obvious and something that costs them more damage than the money they ripped me off.. im pissed and will pay gas for a 1 hr drive to do so.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I think you're missing your money, not the dog that was viewed as a profit center as opposed to a family member. Hopefully his new owners treat him like a valued family member, which will be a change for him.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You two are pretty quick to jump on chiefbigbear. He said he wasn't aware of any problems with the dog. I take that to mean he feels these people have taken advantage of the situation and refused payment. Without both sides of the story can we atleast make an attempt at answering his question instead of character attacks?

I don't know about the strength of a verbal agreement in Canada without 3rd party witnesses, but luvntzus is right. You shouldn't have taken anything but cash or a money order. Lesson learned, you likely don't have much recourse, I'm sorry to say.

[edit] - "sending them a message" via property damage is a very stupid thing to do. I'd like to retract my first paragraph in your case; but I think I'll keep it up in hopes of influencing future responses to people asking questions.

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I just sold my dog golden retriever for 400 off kijiji and 2 people came down and agreed and wrote me a cheque for 300 and gave me 100 upfront and they left then msged me in the mornin and told me they cancelled the cheque un til i contact them and they told me my dog had worms n was really sick which i wasnt aware of so they requested to either send me 50 to my account and they keep him or they bring him back and we repay the 100 which i didnt have at the time. they said whatever we will put 75 in your account and forget the situation, theres was nothing i could do so i spoke with my brother and he suggested i take legal action, because something about infringing a verbal contract. i dont know the law here in ontario canada, which is why im posting this, i wanna know if anyone here knows what to do.. so far all ive done is threatened them a subpoena and told them they infringed our verbal contract and they stopped replying. i need help. but they owe me $225 for my dog, which i truly miss, and me and charlie need justice!

i know that i cant take em to court because it will cost me more than id get outta it, but i want this money back, because i didnt even get back what i originally paid for him. if i cant do anything, i need to send them a msg and property damage that lets them know it was me without it being legally obvious and something that costs them more damage than the money they ripped me off.. im pissed and will pay gas for a 1 hr drive to do so.
"A verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on" - very true words.

And great job at threatening something illegal in writing on a public forum.
If you were my legal client, I'd smack you upside your head for being stupid and greedy and tell you that you should have learned a good life lesson. Probably a good thing I'm not a lawyer :)

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
You two are pretty quick to jump on chiefbigbear. He said he wasn't aware of any problems with the dog. I take that to mean he feels these people have taken advantage of the situation and refused payment. Without both sides of the story can we atleast make an attempt at answering his question instead of character attacks?

I don't know about the strength of a verbal agreement in Canada without 3rd party witnesses, but luvntzus is right. You shouldn't have taken anything but cash or a money order. Lesson learned, you likely don't have much recourse, I'm sorry to say.

[edit] - "sending them a message" via property damage is a very stupid thing to do. I'd like to retract my first paragraph in your case; but I think I'll keep it up in hopes of influencing future responses to people asking questions.
if the dog did indeed have worms, the poster should have known. Sounds like this guy is just worried bout the money; I'm hoping if the dog is sick, someone makes him better

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The fact that they offered to return him if you returned their 100.00, and you said you don't have 100.00 anymore, convinces me that you sold him without regard for his wellbeing. If you really cared about the dog, you would have found a way to get the money, and taken him back, or had them meet you at the vet, and pay them for treatment.

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
You came to a dog forum for legal advice?

My advice is to not advertise on a public forum that you intend to do something illegal and stupid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.