Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a lot of the responses I got on the last thread were saying.Stella (my pup) is a westie, or a westie mix. I just don't see all the resemblance. I know shes a Bichon mixed with something, and the only other dog I saw on the farm was a German Shepperd. Below I will attach a pic of Stella, her brother, and a pic of a westie. Any other opinions! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Her ears are bigger than a typical Westie's but overall, she looks like she's part Westie to me, too. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. :) With such a different look between siblings, it's possible that the mother got busy with more than one male.

Also, I meant to say, I'm not sure but wouldn't a mating between a male GSD and a female Bichon result in a very difficult whelping for the female? How many pups did the Bichon have in total?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her ears are bigger than a typical Westie's but overall, she looks like she's part Westie to me, too. Sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear. :) With such a different look between siblings, it's possible that the mother got busy with more than one male.

Also, I meant to say, I'm not sure but wouldn't a mating between a male GSD and a female Bichon result in a very difficult whelping for the female? How many pups did the Bichon have in total?
all the siblings were born on the same day, The Bichon only had 4 pups. & I dont know, I just dont see much resemblance in the body of My pup and a westie, or the tail, Stellas is always curled never strait like all the westies I've seen so far, and hed ears, like you said, are big, very big and shes barely 3 months compared to that full grown
Westie

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
thats true, but bichons dont have those ears.
You have to remember, she is only a wee baby. Just like humans you cant tell what they are going to look like until they are full grown. Some puppies grow into their ears, some grow into their feet. Also because she is not pure bred doesnt mean her ears are going to be the perfect breed standard of what a westies ears should look like. When she is full grown it will probably be easier to tell :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have to remember, she is only a wee baby. Just like humans you cant tell what they are going to look like until they are full grown. Some puppies grow into their ears, some grow into their feet. Also because she is not pure bred doesnt mean her ears are going to be the perfect breed standard of what a westies ears should look like. When she is full grown it will probably be easier to tell :)
Hmm very true. I guess only time can tell in her case.:) .
Thank you so much!

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
She looks Westie MIX to me too... Meaning her features are a MIX of Westie and Bichon...

·
Registered
891 Posts
all the siblings were born on the same day, The Bichon only had 4 pups. & I dont know, I just dont see much resemblance in the body of My pup and a westie, or the tail, Stellas is always curled never strait like all the westies I've seen so far, and hed ears, like you said, are big, very big and shes barely 3 months compared to that full grown
Westie
When she's a bit older, it will be easier to see but even then...Believe me, I totally understand the urge to know. I'd LOVE to know what kind of dog Molly's father is. I've seen pictures of her mother but the rescue group took her & the pups in a day or two after the pups were born & they have no idea. It's fun to try to guess what she might be made up of but I'm at the point now where I just say she a "Molly" and one of a kind, LOL!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Here is an example of how much puppies change. This is my Abbylynn at 5 months old and then her today at a year and a half. Her ears were not what I expected them to be. I thought they were going to stand for sure! lol! :D ........... AND I thought she was not going to be more than about 35 - 40 pounds ... Surprise! She is now 65 pounds! Lol!

Abbylynn now .....

Mix breeds can be such unique creatures!

Your cute little pup probably IMHO has Westie ears and a Bichon's tail. :) Or .... she could have the Bichons color and tail and a Shepherds ears ... or white from a Shepherd ...

I can usually tell pretty much what my pups are going to look like at about 9 - 10 months of age ... and even then they still change a bit ... they get their spread as they finish growing!

It is possible that your pretty little pup has a different Dad. :) No matter what though ... I bet she is very very pretty when she grows up!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When she's a bit older, it will be easier to see but even then...Believe me, I totally understand the urge to know. I'd LOVE to know what kind of dog Molly's father is. I've seen pictures of her mother but the rescue group took her & the pups in a day or two after the pups were born & they have no idea. It's fun to try to guess what she might be made up of but I'm at the point now where I just say she a "Molly" and one of a kind, LOL!
Haha! Stella isn't a rescue though, she was listed online as a bichapoo, and we didn't really question it we were just excited about getting out.first puppy and figured maybe her hair would curl over time.. But nope...nothin

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is an example of how much puppies change. This is my Abbylynn at 5 months old and then her today at a year and a half. Her ears were not what I expected them to be. I thought they were going to stand for sure! lol! :D ........... AND I thought she was not going to be more than about 35 - 40 pounds ... Surprise! She is now 65 pounds! Lol!

Abbylynn now .....

Mix breeds can be such unique creatures!

Your cute little pup probably IMHO has Westie ears and a Bichon's tail. :) Or .... she could have the Bichons color and tail and a Shepherds ears ... or white from a Shepherd ...

I can usually tell pretty much what my pups are going to look like at about 9 - 10 months of age ... and even then they still change a bit ... they get their spread as they finish growing!

It is possible that your pretty little pup has a different Dad. :) No matter what though ... I bet she is very very pretty when she grows up!
thank you! I guess only time can tell for Stella.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Looks like a westie mix to me.Considering you bought her from some people who breed designer dogs. Im sure they lied to you. they were just BYB they prob dont even know what their own dog is.

Neither bichons or poodles have upright ears

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like a westie mix to me.Considering you bought her from some people who breed designer dogs. Im sure they lied to you. they were just BYB they prob dont even know what their own dog is.

Neither bichons or poodles have upright ears
I know shes a Bichon mix because we saw the mother feeding her multiple times since we visited before we were allowed to take her home....we just never saw the father, or had confirmation as to who the father was. & I know! Those ears have me stumped.

·
Registered
241 Posts
they were just BYB they prob dont even know what their own dog is.
AGREED! I actually know of someone who found two stray dogs. One was a female who looks like a Yorkie mix and one was a male who looks like he *might* have some Shih Tzu in him. These dogs are for sure mixed breeds and who knows what they have in them. The people breed these dogs and sell them to a local petstore, then the petstore puts a "Shorkies" sign up and resells the puppies for $350.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Your pup most definitely has some Westie in there....the coat looks like Westie puppy coat, the ears and head are very much like a Westie. As far as the tail, if her mom was a bichon that would give her the curly tail. Puppies in the same litter can have different fathers, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. How big is your baby and how old is she?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your pup most definitely has some Westie in there....the coat looks like Westie puppy coat, the ears and head are very much like a Westie. As far as the tail, if her mom was a bichon that would give her the curly tail. Puppies in the same litter can have different fathers, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. How big is your baby and how old is she?
I'll post a pic of her I literally took.two minutes ago, shes about.15 Weeks and weights about 14 pounds

Attachments

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
No offense, but either way she is a mixed breed dog. It is very obvious that she is not what she was sold to you as. Any breeder that breeds mixed dogs (shihpoos, puggles, morkies, etc) is a bad breeder and should not be trusted. Who knows what kind of dog you paid for, certainly not what you thought you were paying for.

As for your dog, she clearly has some type of terrier in her. I don't know how you don't see the resemblance to a Westie. She's white, small, has upright ears, and terrier hair... those factors alone limit what the father could be. She looks more like a Westie than any other breed.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts