Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's the second week I have her, she is a bull terrier at 2 and 1/2 months, she just recover from parvovirus and its looking good, I feed her early on the morning and then take her outside to poop and peefor over an hour and she won't and as soon as we go back in to the house she wil pee and poo, why does she docent go outsie, she may be afraid of something?

·
Registered
583 Posts
maybe she just hasnt made the connection yet. have you tried giving her a treat when she does do anything outside?
this worked for me, although it did take my dog 2 weeks to learn it!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Puppies get very easily distracted outside, there is so much to look at, listen to, explore.
Keep her on a leash when you take her out to poop. Say the same potty words over and over. Give her a treat and lots of praise if she does it!

I'd recommend NOT staying outside for an hour. Take her out, say the words, stay for 5 minutes. If she doesn't poop, take her back in, BUT watch her super closely, and if she starts to squat or circles the same area it means she's about to go, and you should rush her back out.
Basically, alternate 5 minutes outside to try to poop, then 5 minutes inside to wait. Then back out for 5 minutes, then in. You get the point. The biggest thing is, you have to keep your eyes on her when you bring her in, so she doesn't do it inside.

Since puppies are so easily distracted outside, it's also easy for them to tune you out, so to speak. If you stay out for an hour, she's really not focused on pooping anymore, she's moved on. So, by alternating in and out, you kind of "re-focus" her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she has never poop outside, and when we go back in she starts to poop or pee, then I picke her up and take her out to finish but she just stop and "MOVE ON" like you said, I will try your tip thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts