Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to throw up! Seriously!

Everyone has gone to bed, so as usual Donatello and I go to bed... For the last week or two I've been noticing what looks like little reddish crumbs at the foot of my blanket... I think nothing of it because he chews on bones that have reddish crumbs in them- Nyla-Bones, right?

I found a ****ing worm! : ( I am so nauseated right now it's unreal... All those "reddish" brown crumbs are worms! I was dumbfounded when I found one on his leg... Moving, I lifted his tail and... OMG. I don't want to describe it... I have been sleeping in a bed with a dog that has worms.

How could I have let this happen?

I haven't seen any symptoms; he's not bloated or losing weight, he's still just active, still has his appetite so on and so on!

I don't know what to do, I want to go right out right now and do something, but I won't have any money in my account right now unless I ask my mother!

Please guys... Help me out! Tell me something!

I've been researching these things for an hour now, and I understand a lot about them, but it's strange- Donatello doesn't nurse (he's not a puppy), and he doesn't eat other poo...

What about a couple weeks ago he drank from a pond?

Help? I'm freaking! I was just talking about bacteria with his chew bones, and look! Can you possibly understand how much this is freaking me out? I want to barf, shower in scalding hot water, I want to toss his little worm-infested-butt on the porch and skeedaddle!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Ewww! Worms are icky, but all dogs get them at some point. Just take a stool sample to your vet and have him give you the proper de-wormer. And ask about a heartworm prevention that has a broad-spectrum de-wormer added, that way he'd be de-wormed monthly and you wouldn't have to worry about them anymore. I don't think a fecal test should cost too much, and a lot of vets will give you the de-wormer without seeing the dog.......but I can't account for YOUR vet, some are better about these kinds of things than others.

How big are these worms?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Willowy for your response!

I just got up this morning, sadly and strangely enough I slept in the same bed with him... I got no sleep! I kept waking up feeling "creepy-crawls" all over me. : (

They're really small, and round. When I researched pictures of them I found roundworms, even though it makes no sense on how he could have got them.

My vet is open Sunday's, and I don't classify this an E-Vet situation; How much would the D-Wormer cost if I'm getting it from the vet?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked with a vet-tech today, and she said that aside from taking him to the vet on Monday and using the medicine they prescribe, she suggested I can use an over-the-counter medicine at PetSmart. She said that she's been using it for years on the rescues and foster dogs she has. I put one of those nasty, icky, worms in a napkin and showed them to her, and she kind of chuckled and she said she sees those all the time.

It's a D-Wormer, a yellow liquid, and she said to get the "double strength" version.

I asked her about the fecal test, and she said that she always uses the medicine first, then in 2 weeks take them to the vet for a follow-up if she doesn't see any improvement or if it gets worse.

I know this chick, and she's pretty savvy, so I don't doubt she knows her stuff.

Has anyone used over-the-counter medicine before?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I don't have much to add here except be careful about letting Donnie drink from ponds/lakes. Some have algae in them that are known to be poisonous to dogs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Oh deege. I'm so sorry. If it makes you feel any better, when Roe was a puppy...I had her in the bed with me when Mac was out of town. She was in the process of being de-wormed...I made provisions to keep me safe and vacuumed the bed THOROUGHLY each morning and night.

Its life. I've never used the over the counter, but I"m sure many have.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your support! I greatly appreciate it! I feel like such a doofus!

However, I'm almost now positive that Donatello got worms from here at the apartment complex. No one else picks up after their dog, and when Donatello's poo is outnumbered 2 to 1, it gets pretty nasty! Not to mention all the wild cats that eat mice and rats... **Ugh! Even though he doesn't eat poo, the poo was probably infected and spread around the field because of the lawnmowers... : (

I'm going to make this de-worming medication a regular thing for him... I don't want to go through this again!

I'm somewhat comforted to know that a lot of people go through this. : P

Thanks MissMutt- I'll be sure to cut pond/lake water out of his diet. I had no idea, I figured it wasn't good, but I didn't know algae could be poisonous.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Deege,
get him on a monthly program, all dogs that are in public spaces should be on one anyhow. They pick up the feces on thier feet, then lick them clean afterwards so they get them easily.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I gave my dog his Interceptor heartworm pill last week and found a dead worm in his poo. I freaked, so I know where you're coming from! The vet charged about $20 to test the fecal sample. Interceptor kills heartworms, hookworm, roundworm and whipworm, so the vet just had me give him two pills this month instead of just one. I gave him the second pill today and they want me to bring in another fecal sample to make sure he is rid of the worms.

I would be concerned about your bedding - apparently roundworm eggs are IMPOSSIBLE to kill with cleaners. They can live for years in all kinds of conditions.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Washing should do it. Use the hottest water the fabric can stand. Use bleack if the fabric is bleach-safe. Maybe vinegar would be helpful if the fabric isn't bleachable.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, well that's what I did yesterday when I washed them... I used a color-safe bleach, and wasn't stingy with it... I don't believe color-safe bleach is as potent, but I did use hot water.

I'll try the vinegar next time.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think I mentioned it before, but I use Interceptor once a month for my dog. It's a heartworm preventative, but it kills quite a few different kinds of worms as well. I'm not sure if all heartworm pills do this or not, but definitely check out the kind of pill he is on, and think about switching to one that kills more worms if the current one doesn't. Then you won't have to worry about them in the future, because I know where you're coming from and they are GROSS!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry about the worms, Hope everything is better now. If it makes you feel any better I pupsat for a friend when I was about 16....The pup slept in my bed with me and I woke up with worms everywhere, I even had them in my hair...talk about yuck!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks BigBlackDogGal; It's too late to change his flea&tick medicine now, he's just received another monthly, but I'm seriously looking into changing to one that does everything.

I went out yesterday evening and bought the medicine that my lady-friend-vet-tech suggested and gave him the recommended dose. He had a hard time getting it down, and wound up gagging up most of it. -.- Not unusual, so I gave him another half-dose today, as recommended by my lady-friend-vet-tech. I'm seeing improvement already, or so I believe!

I had washed my sheets yesterday, and last night took a chance and slept with him. I woke up this morning and found no dead worms! Of course it's too soon to tell, but I'm monitoring his poo as well and saw a few worms "dispelled". I'm keeping him on a towel on the sofa and periodically today I would move him aside and check for "worms" and found none.

The medicine was supposed to work in one dose, but it does suggest I administer another dose in 10 to 24 days- Or something like that, I'm going to have to look again.

I called his vet today and asked for a little advice, and the vet said that since I've already tried the medicine to not bring him in, but to come back in two weeks and bring a fecal sample to make sure their gone.

Some people really amaze me! Instead of being concerned that I use medicine he prescribes, he said to just wait on coming in for two weeks since I started the medication. (He's a vet I was recommended to from a guy I met at the dog park, the doctor really cares about pets and their owners!)

Sorry about the worms, Hope everything is better now. If it makes you feel any better I pupsat for a friend when I was about 16....The pup slept in my bed with me and I woke up with worms everywhere, I even had them in my hair...talk about yuck!
That's disgusting! **BLECH! I would probably have really vomited had that happened to me!

Seeing a worm, wiggling... Sticking out his butt! OMG! Too much info for even me! I can't handle bugs, especially gross icky bugs like this!

I've now kind of laughed it off a little and nick-named him Wormy-Butt! lol! It makes my sisters laugh, and leaves me a little more relaxed. But that first night... : ( I was about to scream! I felt like an even more horrible mommy!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts