Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perrin went into heat earlier than I expected (she is 6 months, so I guess that isn't actually early). I decided to let her have two heats or reach 1.5 years old (whichever came first) before spaying her, and the vet agreed. I am super responsible (okay, maybe it is more appropriate to say controlling or bossy), so I knew I wouldn't let anything happen to her, but I still feel so lost!

I had been checking her every other day since four months and it just started on Saturday. The issue is that she is acting so scared and anxious so I don't know how to comfort her and I don't want to derail training?

Do I just let her do whatever she wants? For example, she is ringing her potty bell every 15 minutes!!!! I took her out seven times in 1.5 hours yesterday evening. Because of that, I want her in her crate for a bit, but she cries so much. I don't want to traumatize or stress her, so do I forget the crate while she is in heat? Do I take away the potty bell? Do I let her ring the bell but not take her out? I don't want her to go extinct on the behavior of the bell, so I don't think it is a good idea to let her ring it and not take her out. I am SO CONFUSED!

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Personally, I would take away the bells and take her out on a schedule that she can handle. I'm not a fan of bells just because I don't want to be rushing my dog outside every 5 minutes if they suddenly decide ringing the bell is the best thing in the world. Haha. You can always put them back later.

Work on crate games and positive association. If she has to be in it, provide chew toys or a filled kong to keep her busy and quiet.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If she is reliably house broken, then I would take the bell away and rehang it after an appropriate amount of time has elapsed. Is she going each time she asks to go out? Is she normally okay in her crate? Maybe you can expend some energy with play first, tire her out and then she will be ready to nap in her crate and let YOU get some peace for a bit! :)

ETA: Ha! We responded at the same time!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If she is reliably house broken, then I would take the bell away and rehang it after an appropriate amount of time has elapsed. Is she going each time she asks to go out? Is she normally okay in her crate? Maybe you can expend some energy with play first, tire her out and then she will be ready to nap in her crate and let YOU get some peace for a bit! :)

ETA: Ha! We responded at the same time!
I don't think the crate games would help, because she has already learned to be in her crate since she was 8 weeks old and I began the Ian Dunbar confinement schedule. Now that she's older she is usually only in her crate to nap twice and then she sleeps in it at night next to my bed. She doesn't seem to want to nap now that she is in heat, even after a long walk. Also, she has never wanted to be more than five feet away from me, but the last two nights she went into my bedroom by herself and hopped on my bed to go to sleep. She has never been alone in a room before, but I wanted her to sleep so I let her.

I guess I would say she is potty trained, so I think I have no choice but to take away the bell. She rang it twice since I was trying to type this, and she is not going pee. She just wants to lay in the grass outside, which she can't since she is in heat. I just feel guilty confusing her if suddenly there is no bell and she can't communicate. Has anyone had experience using the bell only during certain times and other times having it be gone?

She isn't interested in her Kong in her crate since she is in heat and she isn't playing with her toys like normal. I even got her canned food so that maybe she would want her kong more, but no go. All the new chews I got her are also ignored in her crate. She just seems so unhappy, I feel terrible.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I'm sure it's stressful to see her acting different, but I wouldn't worry about any of it too much. She'll go back to being normal soon enough.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She does feel terrible. Reproduction is not pleasant for dogs and females get the worst of it. She'll feel better soon, but for right now, all you can do is manage her as best you can.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She does feel terrible. Reproduction is not pleasant for dogs and females get the worst of it. She'll feel better soon, but for right now, all you can do is manage her as best you can.
Yeah, I know. I just keep feeling like I could be managing it better.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about dogs in heat, thankfully but I'm sure she'll start feeling better soon after those hormones calm down a bit. Taking the bell down will not ruin her potty training - when it's time to put it back up, I'm sure she'll remember exactly what it's for!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
When they are in heat they do pee a lot more. Have to let all the boys around know that she is waiting for them. You may find when you take her out that she will pee several times.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Perrin went into heat earlier than I expected (she is 6 months, so I guess that isn't actually early). I decided to let her have two heats or reach 1.5 years old (whichever came first) before spaying her, and the vet agreed. I am super responsible (okay, maybe it is more appropriate to say controlling or bossy), so I knew I wouldn't let anything happen to her, but I still feel so lost!

I had been checking her every other day since four months and it just started on Saturday. The issue is that she is acting so scared and anxious so I don't know how to comfort her and I don't want to derail training?

Do I just let her do whatever she wants? For example, she is ringing her potty bell every 15 minutes!!!! I took her out seven times in 1.5 hours yesterday evening. Because of that, I want her in her crate for a bit, but she cries so much. I don't want to traumatize or stress her, so do I forget the crate while she is in heat? Do I take away the potty bell? Do I let her ring the bell but not take her out? I don't want her to go extinct on the behavior of the bell, so I don't think it is a good idea to let her ring it and not take her out. I am SO CONFUSED!
Ignore it... Get rid of the bell... Take her out a few extra times... J might shorten the training sessions but I would not stop training....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignore it... Get rid of the bell... Take her out a few extra times... J might shorten the training sessions but I would not stop training....
I feel better about taking the bell away now that several people have said it's fine. She wasn't peeing at all when she went out, just laying in the grass to find bugs. I didn't mean general training, I meant potty and crate training because she can't do her normal routine. I am keeping her training shorter though so as to not frustrate her. She got a really long walk today, so hopefully she is more tired this afternoon.

But she is getting reactive to cars the past two days and I don't know if it is because she is in heat or not. So, now I don't even know if I should walk her until she isn't in heat. She is small and usually seems fine with just sniff training, fetch, flirt pole and tug inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts