Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old purebreed English Bulldog. When i bought him from the breeder, she told me to never give him heartworm pills. I forgot the reason she told me that, but i accepted it at the time and i have never given my bulldog heartworm pills. The vet on the other hand has been fighting me at every checkup to give my bulldog those pills.
What have you done? Do you give your ENGLISH BULLDOG (no other breeds please) heartworm pills? If so what (brand name) kind? If you tried it but had a bad experience, please tell me. I am trying to get a general majority rules as far as if i should start giving my bulldog the heartworm pills. I live in a suburb, completely fenced in yard, mostly grass. No wild animals, besides the occasional bunny which take off when the dog is in the yard. Again, looking for experience from English Bulldog owners only, thanks.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
As a prior EB owner and FOSTER MOM yes, he needs heartworm preventive in your area. That said it may be that other dogs in the breeders line have turned up with a sensitivity to Ivermectin based heartworm meds (which are the most common) and he may need to be on an alternative form of heartworm preventive.

Also, just so you know, heartworm is spread by MOSQUITOS, not wild animals, not by feces. In your area there is a very high HW infection rate so make sure he gets a HW test before starting meds.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Of course my bulldogs are on heartworm pills. Well actually they are on a mixture of ivermectin and nemex but I would recommend interceptor.

You have no mosquitoes? I highly doubt that, those are what spread heartworm not other mammals.

What breeder told you not to put the bulldog on something for heartworm?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Oh, meant to say, I use liquid ivermectin solution on alll my dogs and have used it on my EB fosters that were HW negative. Also, the only areas that don't need at least part year HW preventive are the high desert where mosquitos can't breed due to lack of moisture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts