Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, Im joann, I have a bordercolle,healer, german shephard X who is very smart,but lacks common sense.lol.

here lately he has taken to getting me up out of bed at the wee hours of 3 or 4am and needing to go outside. well after several trips outside with in 2 hours i just let him stay outside then he jumps the fence and will stay gone till night fall. he can wiggle out of any collar except a choke training collar, and im not comfortable leave that on him with out super vision.

I bought him a harness and that slowed him down,but we still figured out how to wiggle out of it and run off.

If i leave him in the house he howls, and scratches at the door, im afriad if I try to leave him in he will tear something up.

We will be moving sometime in the near future and I dont want to have to give him up,but if i cant keep him home i'll have to find him a new home. please I need some help.

I though about tring an invisible fence system,but i dont want to spend the money if I cant return it,if it doesnt keep him in...

Thanks in advance for any helpfull information

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You are leaving him outside unsupervised, when you know he can jump the fence? Sounds like you are the one lacking common sense.

Take him outside on a harness and/or collar and a long line. Stay with him until he is ready to come back in. If he keeps crying to go out you can crate him or put him in a different room. I would definitely not suggest an invisible fence for this situation.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
You are leaving him outside unsupervised, when you know he can jump the fence? Sounds like you are the one lacking common sense.

Take him outside on a harness and/or collar and a long line. Stay with him until he is ready to come back in. If he keeps crying to go out you can crate him or put him in a different room. I would definitely not suggest an invisible fence for this situation.
Much agreed.
There are a variety of harnesses, some are very very hard to slip out of. For example, the Ruffwear Webmaster harness has a second belly strap that hits behind the rib cage and makes it nearly impossible for the dog to back out of. It is also a comfortable harness for long wear.

A martingale collar is also generally difficult for the dog to slip out of when the dog is leashed.

It is completely irrelevant which of these collars etc will stay on the dog when you leave him unsupervised because if you want to prevent him from running away, then you need to be supervising him at all times when outdoors.

If the dog really needs to pee several times a night, then I suggest a trip to the vets office to check for a UTI or other physical problem. Most adult dogs sleep through the night or maybe need one trip outside if they've drank a lot of water in the evening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much agreed.
There are a variety of harnesses, some are very very hard to slip out of. For example, the Ruffwear Webmaster harness has a second belly strap that hits behind the rib cage and makes it nearly impossible for the dog to back out of. It is also a comfortable harness for long wear.

A martingale collar is also generally difficult for the dog to slip out of when the dog is leashed.

It is completely irrelevant which of these collars etc will stay on the dog when you leave him unsupervised because if you want to prevent him from running away, then you need to be supervising him at all times when outdoors.

If the dog really needs to pee several times a night, then I suggest a trip to the vets office to check for a UTI or other physical problem. Most adult dogs sleep through the night or maybe need one trip outside if they've drank a lot of water in the evening.

I've been using the harness i have for several days with out any problems untill last night.. He understands that he is not supposed to leave.,but does so anyway.

How do i know he understands? He litteraly crawls into the house and has the "Im sorry" or "im introuble" look on his face. I do not want to get on to him for being home as i figure that will make him not want to stay home even worse.

as far as him having and Uti, i kinda doubt it because if i go out with him at night the just wanders around the yard,(no peeing) then when he decides im not going inside he want to come back in then in about 30 mins we go thru the process again, and no one get any sleep. except for the dog who sleeps all day.

i will defently see if i can get a crate(maybe borrow one from a friend) I really think that is going to be the only way anyone is going to get any sleep at night.

+two: im not lacking common sense Im lacking sleep, and it is getting old quick!
Thank you both for the help and ideas.:)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've been using the harness i have for several days with out any problems untill last night.. He understands that he is not supposed to leave.,but does so anyway.

How do i know he understands? He litteraly crawls into the house and has the "Im sorry" or "im introuble" look on his face. I do not want to get on to him for being home as i figure that will make him not want to stay home even worse.

as far as him having and Uti, i kinda doubt it because if i go out with him at night the just wanders around the yard,(no peeing) then when he decides im not going inside he want to come back in then in about 30 mins we go thru the process again, and no one get any sleep. except for the dog who sleeps all day.

i will defently see if i can get a crate(maybe borrow one from a friend) I really think that is going to be the only way anyone is going to get any sleep at night.

+two: im not lacking common sense Im lacking sleep, and it is getting old quick!
Thank you both for the help and ideas.:)
ok No one has asked this yet so I will. Is he fixed? If this is a new habbit it makes me wonder if there is a female in heat in near by?

Also He doesnt know he is bad for leaving, all he knows is that your mad.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I second the crate, the martingale collar and not leaving him out by himself. Stop taking him out at night if he doesn't have to pee. Yes, he'll whine and cry at first, but you're not getting any sleep as it is, so put in the effort and outlast him. He'll stop it if he doesn't get anything out of it.

I would also recommend getting a Kong and looking up some stuffing recipes online. If he has something tasty to keep him busy, he'll be less inclined to rip up the house and whine at you.

The fact of the matter is, some behaviors require management on the owner's part. My old dog loved to dig through garbage. Loved it. I learned, very quickly (did you know eating coffee grinds can lead to a $600 vet bill?), to limit his access to garbage. I bought a $120 heavy duty locking garbage can. He figured out how to rip off the lid within 3 days. After that, I kept the garbage can on the back deck. Was it an enormous pain in the @ss to have my kitchen garbage can out on the deck? Yes. Did it keep Muggsy safe? Yes. These are the sacrifices we make to keep our dogs safe.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
and no one has asked THIS yet, either....how much exercise is he getting? you have a mix a 3 high energy, highly intelligent breeds....and if you're not smarted than they are you're gonna get walked on.....if he's not getting his requirements met both physically and mentally, of course he's gonna be doing a lot of running away........training is HIGHLY essential and required, and a good 1-2 hrs (not necessarily all at once) is needed for exercise (walks, ball play, jogging, etc)

as for the going out constantly, he's got you trained perfectly to get the attention he is wanting.....my boy will go all night w/out issue when i'm at work (i work graveyard and have left strict instructions my kids don't go out after i leave the house...can't trust that they'll be brought back in) but for a little while, on my nights off, 3 a.m. he was saying he needed out....after the 3rd time of this i made him lay down and shut up and the problem stopped......it was all for attention and this from a dog that has lots of time w/ me doing various things....

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
and no one has asked THIS yet, either....how much exercise is he getting? you have a mix a 3 high energy, highly intelligent breeds....and if you're not smarted than they are you're gonna get walked on.....if he's not getting his requirements met both physically and mentally, of course he's gonna be doing a lot of running away........training is HIGHLY essential and required, and a good 1-2 hrs (not necessarily all at once) is needed for exercise (walks, ball play, jogging, etc)

as for the going out constantly, he's got you trained perfectly to get the attention he is wanting.....my boy will go all night w/out issue when i'm at work (i work graveyard and have left strict instructions my kids don't go out after i leave the house...can't trust that they'll be brought back in) but for a little while, on my nights off, 3 a.m. he was saying he needed out....after the 3rd time of this i made him lay down and shut up and the problem stopped......it was all for attention and this from a dog that has lots of time w/ me doing various things....
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask that as well. Good catch!

Excersize is VERY VERY important for a lot of dogs, and your dog is a mix 3 very high energy dogs! Not the kind of dog that I would just walk for 30 min once a day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok awnsers: 1.No he is not fixed,
2.his running off was not a problem till our female dog past away a few years ago, and now the running way is getting worse.
at the moment we have several hundred acres,so im not really concerned about his getting hurt.so if he does escape he's not really hurting anything. the problem is we are fixing to be moving, to a place that is way smaller like 1-2 acres and roaming there especially if we are in town will get him in trouble.

I suspect part of it the last 2 weeks has to do with usbeing gone for 5 days and having someone else take care of him.
3. he normally gets about an hour or so of hard play each day(maybe that is not enough) I will try to up that and see how that helps.
Im thinking i'll just start crating him up at night that should help too. Thanks so much for the help! maybe I can get this terrible habit broken.:)

as far as traing he knows heel, stay,sit, laydown,most of the basic commands, he even shakes hands.lol is there anyother things i could teach him. I think it's great that he learns so quick,but im at a loss of what else to teach him to keep his brain occopied.
THanks again for the help!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Play does not take the place of walking. He needs at least an hour of walking PLUS the hour of hard play. That should cut down on his waking you up at night and escaping.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
2.his running off was not a problem till our female dog past away a few years ago, and now the running way is getting worse.
at the moment we have several hundred acres,so im not really concerned about his getting hurt.so if he does escape he's not really hurting anything. the problem is we are fixing to be moving, to a place that is way smaller like 1-2 acres and roaming there especially if we are in town will get him in trouble.

I suspect part of it the last 2 weeks has to do with usbeing gone for 5 days and having someone else take care of him.
3. he normally gets about an hour or so of hard play each day(maybe that is not enough) I will try to up that and see how that helps.
Im thinking i'll just start crating him up at night that should help too. Thanks so much for the help! maybe I can get this terrible habit broken.:)

as far as traing he knows heel, stay,sit, laydown,most of the basic commands, he even shakes hands.lol is there anyother things i could teach him. I think it's great that he learns so quick,but im at a loss of what else to teach him to keep his brain occopied.
THanks again for the help!

in response to #2.....you'd be very surprised at what sort of trouble he can get into....you may have a lot of acres, but the fact that he is gone all day tells me that he is not even on your acres.....and any neighbour w/ females, livestock, poultry, etc MIGHT just decide a bullet or trap or something is a good bet.....keep him home at ALL COSTS......

as far a training, put his mind to work.....anything that doesn't require vocal or opposing thumbs is (a very good) possibility......let your mind go....my old BC, Lacey, spelled.....plus she put things away, picked up trash, watched the kids, pretty much whatever i asked of her she'd try/do........he's a very intelligent mix, use it......just remember to NOT teach him how to open doors, or do anything that can come back and "kick you in the teeth" later on :) :)

another thing?....Neuter him....it'll help IMMENSELY

Play does not take the place of walking. He needs at least an hour of walking PLUS the hour of hard play. That should cut down on his waking you up at night and escaping.
i don't necessarily agree on this.....it's a good thing to do but mine don't go for walks it's all good play at the park for however long.....but their minds are kept working.....i, also, have a couple friends w/ BC's that are the same way.......but, walks ARE a good thing to do if he really needs them and he just might

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
nope, got my girl spayed at 7 and it was, also, right after her final heat (vet wanted it that way)......dogs are getting s/n at older ages all the time....as long as he's in good health, there should be no problems.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts