Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum and joined to get some help with a confusing situation. For the past three days my chihuahua has had an upset stomach. I *think* it was caused by a change in diet. I tried switching his food out slowly over a week but I don't think that was enough time.

Symptoms: stomach is incredibly tense - his midsection is wound so tight and he shivers more than normal, sometimes the pain in his midsection makes him cry out in pain. He still had an appetite the last 2 days and I've fed him boiled chicken and brown rice. He has no interest in drinking but will take water if we give it to him in a needle-less syringe.

Before you tell me to rush him to the vet - that's exactly what I did. He's been to the vet on Saturday and Sunday and undergone a barrage of tests: x-rays (twice), fecal exam, urinalysis, blood test (including an exam of his pancreas). The vet determined it's not constipation like we thought and can't find find anything that would cause this. She gave me pain meds for the discomfort and inserted fluids into his back, we go back on Tuesday for a follow-up.

After two nights of being up in discomfort, he finally slept through the night last night and yesterday he really seemed like he was feeling a lot better. But this morning it's back to square one. Stomach is tense, he's not crying out in pain but he did cry out when I first picked him up this morning to take him outside. He urinated normally but still has no interest in drinking. Now he won't eat so I can't give him the pain meds. He's just sitting here looking very pitiful in his bed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Take him back to the vet. Food switches cause diarrhea, but not pain. If he's not drinking, I wouldn't wait until tomorrow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts