Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm a brand new member, and in desperate need of help/advice for a sort of co-worker. She works at the same barn I do, for a different pro, and is a real piece of work. She bought a nine week old ACD/husky mix off of kijiji, with the plan to breed him to an ACD that belongs to a friend of hers. She was in no way prepared for a puppy, despite my warnings and the warnings of several other doggy people that work/ride at the barn.

Things weren't too bad for the first week (she's had him two weeks, I think). She was happy that he slept through the night, because I told her to expect to be up at least twice. Fast forward only a week, and things are not so good. They're having trouble with housebreaking, I'm sure because they simply aren't taking him out often enough. The boyfriend said today that if he pees one more time in the house, he was going to throw him on the bbq. It's probably an overstatement, but considering another woman has seen him kick the dog, I doubt anything good would happen.

I asked her if he falls asleep on her, because that was one of my favourite things about a brand new puppy. She said she's always on the couch/bed, and he's not allowed on either. Absolutely fair, but given she says he stays in the kitchen, I'm pretty sure he gets a negligable amount of human attention at home. She also told another woman that she has no idea why she got him in the first place.

I need desperately to try and help him. Despite all this, he is one of the sweetest little puppies I have ever met. I do think she would give him up, I made a joke today about stealing him and she said that would be fine. I don't think she was kidding. The thing is, I have zero extra money/time/space for another high energy puppy. My conscience just wouldn't let go until I at least tried to help him. I've lurked on this forum long enough to know there is a very strong ACD presence, and I was hoping someone might know of a possible home for him.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way I could take him longterm. I would be more than willing to drive him somewhere, if the end result is a well-suited home for him. I don't know much about ACD's, but I feel like this dog could really be something special, with the proper owner.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Is there an ACD rescue in your area, or anywhere in the state or neighboring states? I'd google that and tell them about the threat of violence.

Poor thing. I'm about 2 seconds from convincing myself I can totally handle a high energy puppy. I can't but if you are anywhere near PA, I could try contacting the rescue I got Kabota from. Cattle dogs, border collies, what's the difference? Seriously, if you are near me, I'll try to help.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hugely appreciate it, but I'm in Canada. :( Ontario, to be specific. I'm making myself sick worrying about this little guy. I'll definitely search for a rescue, there has to be one in my area.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Where are you? I'm in Texas (Houston area) I would love to help but I can't travel cross state due to job demands. Are you on Facebook? My address is www.facebook.com/dogdragoness (or search for 'Norma Pruski' if that isn't right) if you can get pics you are welcomed to post him on there as a curtesy listing. Also www.cattledog.com is also a good site with rescues all over the US, you can search by region there & they might be able to help you. Also, the the national rescue site is www.acdra.org/

Hope this helps :).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I will pass that along. Hopefully she'll understand reason. He's a great puppy, but I can't see any dog thriving in that atmosphere, let alone was as intense as an ACD. Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate that, but I'm in Canada. :( I won't see the girl again until Monday, but hopefully if I go in armed with some options (different rescues) maybe she'll understand reason. Yesterday she asked me if I thought it would be a good idea to let a horse loose in the arena with him to 'see what he does.' I honestly cannot believe the stupid.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Argh! Let him loose with a horse? He's a herding dog, he'll like try to go after it. Our ACD mix doesn't chase horses anymore, but that's only because she was kicked for her trouble years ago.

Try the ACD rescues. ACD/Husky is what my husband and I call a "real" dog (I know, all dogs are real dogs, but it's our shorthand for an intense/working type dog, rather than a lapdog/pet), not for first time, inexperienced, less than confident or short on time dog owners.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The woman who managed the barn we used to be at had an elderly ACD who would occasionally nip at the horses' heels. I told this girl the best case scenario would be the puppy getting his teeth kicked in. Worst case, she would have a two-dimensional puppy on her hands. I literally cannot believe her.

I don't have direct experience with ACDs, but I know enough to know they're most certainly not very everyone. A couple of other people tried to convince her of the same, but she didn't listen/care. Hopefully the rescue option will work.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The woman who managed the barn we used to be at had an elderly ACD who would occasionally nip at the horses' heels. I told this girl the best case scenario would be the puppy getting his teeth kicked in. Worst case, she would have a two-dimensional puppy on her hands. I literally cannot believe her.

I don't have direct experience with ACDs, but I know enough to know they're most certainly not very everyone. A couple of other people tried to convince her of the same, but she didn't listen/care. Hopefully the rescue option will work.
They are wonderful dogs, but they definitely aren't for the faint of heart. They are manipulative, wild, bull headed, and if rules aren't carried out strictly with them, they can grow to be very defiant. So it's important that they have a strong minded and willed handler that knows the breed well. Absolutely not for a beginner dog owner. However, with the right person to handle and train them, they are incredible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts