Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres my story. My grandma has 3 pets, 2 dogs and 1 cat. She has a seemingly uncontrolable flea problem that has been going on for at least 3 years now. We have tried everything we can think of and the issue just doesnt go away. When i lived here (i live with my gf now out of state going to college starting my life) we used those flea bombs you can buy at walmart, we have used them multiple times but the fleas just come back in less than 2 weeks it seems. We have had the house professionally sprayed and cleaned for fleas and they STILL come back. All pets are on a monthly dose of flea drops but the way flea drops work is they kill them once they bite the animal, therefore they just have to jump on outside and jump off inside lay eggs and BAM flea explosion again. I am at a loss, i want to help her in any way i can but dont know where to start, its insane.

My jack russell terrier generally doesnt have fleas but we only have an apartment so she doesnt have a free roam yard but goes on walks frequently and doesnt get more than 1 or 2 fleas which we see and pick off her quickly, plus she is on flea drops as well so out apartment is fine. But we are moving to a new house next month with a fenced in yard and will be going to get my gf's dog next month to (her parents have been taking care of it while she has been away at college), since we will have a yard i just know fleas will be around, i dont want my house infested like my grandmas.

So i dont know what else to do, all pets we own are on flea drops and the house is treated a lot but we still get tons of fleas. My grandma lives in Missouri and i live in Indiana if thats any benefit. I have never used those yard treatments for fleas and i think i might want to, but i dont know how they work. so i have a few questions

1. Do yard treatments work?

2. Do they just kill fleas that are in the area only? or do they kill fleas and keep them out.

3. How often do i need to treate the yard.

4. I have tried that Hartz brand of flea drops from walmart and that didnt even do anything to the fleas, but i have also used frontline which has worked in the past but doesnt seem to work as much anymore. I just bought some K9 advantix today and applied it to all animals so (visiting my grandma for a few days) we will see how those drops work soon i guess. But are these brands reliable or what do you prefer.

5. Extra comments, anything else i can do to help this? ive done the drops,house treatments and they keep coming back, anything else i can do?

·
Registered
90 Posts
K9 Advantix and Advantage works great in my experience.
My pug had skin issues with them tho, so I have since started using Apple cider vinegar on her.
I've seen and read HORRIBLE reactions from Hartz. Frontline used to work but (in my experience) it does not work anymore.

As far as yard treatments, my lawn boys spray down their own pesticides and weed control. I haven't had any issues. And they work on my lawn at 5am so by the time I'm up at 9am everything is dry and safe to play on.

I seems as tho you have an infestation going on. They are HARD to get rid of. What I would do is flea bathe the dogs. Get them completely free of fleas. Apply treatment(thats if the current application hasn't worked for you. Give it another try). Send them to another home that is flea free to live at for atleast a week.(as well as you/your family involved). Go back to the house. BOMB THE HELL outta it. For an entire week straight. Yes this means going back everyday/airing out the house. On Friday, apply the carpet powder(if you have carpet). While that is setting, bomb the house again. Come back, air out. Saturday do carpet shampooing.

My mother had a horrible infestation of fleas and that did the trick.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
To get the flea population on the pets under control, I'd give them a Capstar, then apply the spot-on (no store brands! And be very careful using Advantix on the dogs with the cat around. If he/she licks the dog it can be fatal). Don't bathe the animals within 3 days before or after applying it (it spreads in the body oils, and if you put it on right after a bath there won't be enough body oils for it to spread properly). Use a brand with an IGR (kills the eggs), like Frontline Plus.

This has always worked for me and I've never had to treat the house or yard. But in a warmer climate it might not be enough. So whatever anyone else says about home/yard treatments :p.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im just at a loss of what to do. i could bomb it a lot for a week like you said but without the yard being treated im sure they would just come right back.

ive never dealt with yard treatments before so i dont know what brands exist or which are better than the other. just seems that bombing/flea drops arnt cutting it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Try Capstar. Really. (You can give the cat 1/4 of a large pill if you don't want to buy both sizes). Very satisfying to se the fleas drop off right in front of you. if you do it every few days for a while, you should see a decent reduction in the flea population. If you want to keep that up, maybe try Comfortis for the dogs (although it's pricey).

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
We used to use Sevin dust years ago, as well as putting diatomaceous earth on sandy areas or places where the dog sleeps outside. In addition, Ortho Home Defense Max from the hardware store can be used inside and outside on baseboards etc., as long as you let it dry for 30 min. before people or pets contact. In addition, you need to be careful if your pets tend to lick or chew on surfaces,,, but sleeping on treated surfaces seems OK.... but read the label... But this has been the worst flea season in Texas that I've seen for more than 20 years....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts