Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Help finding my perfect breed?

687 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Coffeenut 
#1 · (Edited)
Hiya

I'm looking for advice on breeds that suit what I'm looking for in a dog.

Firstly I start by telling you a bit about me.

I am self employed and work from home so have the time a dog and especially a puppy needs.

I live alone and that won't change as I have no desire for children or a partner. I like living on my own without other people.

I don't have a lot of visitors to my house only my mom and sister , when my sister comes to visit she brings her Golden retriever round who I do adore.

I enjoy long walks , especially in the country side near to me and I like at the weekend to go on hiking trips round the UK ( since Covid not done much of that recently)

I am ready for my own dog and below I will write a list of what I'm looking for

Size - anything from a shih Tzu to a Golden retriever both in height and weight. He needs to be able to play with my sister's Golden so not too small

I would like a dog who is easy to train by this I mean how Goldens are quick to learn anything new compared to a basset hound who would take longer.

I need a quiet dog as my sister suffers from really bad migraines that can get more painful with noise and this was one of the reasons she went for a Golden as their pretty quiet dogs and hers is as he rarely ever barks and when he does she can stop him on command, so not a vocal breed.

I don't want a reactive or sensitive dog by this I mean one whose overly sensitive to noise like Border collies can be ( I grew up around border collies) or reactive to everything like how border collies want to chase cars ect or how terrier react to a lot of things too, I'm looking for for an easy going dog like my sister's Golden who takes everything in his stride ect.

I don't want a very energetic or highly strung dog more on par with Goldens again in terms of energy level and exercise need

I don't plan on doing any sports or anything he will be my companion and best friend

I'm not looking for an obedient dog like my sister's golden who listens every time , I just want him to learn the rules and be well behaved but I don't care if he listens every time like my sister does.

I want a dog who is friendly with people but not overly friendly like a Golden and good with other dogs

I don't want a powerful dog like a Rottweiler as they would be too much for me to handle and I don't want one with a bad reputation as I don't think I could handle people judging my dog unfairly.

I want a playful affectionate dog but not to the point that they are needy or overly affectionate

I don't want drooling to the excess of a Newfoundland and don't want a dog whose stubborn like chows or bassets were they hardly listen to you

I don't mind grooming commitment as I did a dog grooming course years ago so can take care of any coat requirements.

Needs to be good with other animals as I have 3 rabbits, 1 cat and I foster hedgehogs ( rabbits and hedgehogs live in the garage which is dedicated to them and the cat is not allowed in their and neither will the dog)

I know a lot of these are more to do with the individual dog rather than breed but I would like you to base it on a well bred pup from a good breeder and he will be well socialized and trained ( my sister used a good behaviourist who helped her bring Ollie up to be a confident happy golden who I will be using myself), I have already decided I want a puppy.

So if you can base this on what a breed is like overall, I'd be very great full. I really liked the rough collie but I don't think they suit what I'm looking for

If you need any further advice please let me know and I'll happily awnser any questions.

See less See more
#4 ·
A well bred showline English Cocker is pretty similar to a Golden, just a bit smaller. A working Cocker would probably be too much.

Or, you could go with a Golden since you seem to like your sister's. You say you don't want "overly friendly" but some basic training can teach your dog to be neutral/ignore people and other dogs when you'd like them to.

#6 ·
I think a showline English Springer would be a fine choice as well, as long as you research the breeder. I've heard some Springers can have some temperament issues in their lines but that may just be more of a US thing and less prevalent in the UK. There are some good Facebook groups, like Uncensored Opinions of Breeders that should be able to help there and point you in the direction of a good breeder.

#8 ·
You say anything in size right up to Golden size, so since you like your sister's Golden so much, why not contact the breeder of her dog about a puppy? You have to be really prepared to not compare a puppy and young dog to her dog, though. Whichever sex your sister's dog is, if you want to increase odds of them getting along, get the opposite sex.

#9 ·
I would suggest a Labrador (perhaps of the English variety), or a Golden like your sister. A Poodle may also be a good choice if you're okay with the grooming requirements, and you choose a breeder that has mellower, non-performance lines. Any of the smaller companion type dogs would probably fit the bill, as well, but if you want them to play with your sister's dog, I would opt for something a little bigger than a Shi Tzu size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.