Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I live in Morgantown, WV and want to find a good, reliable, and responsible standard schnauzer breeder within four to five hours of me. I would like to be able to go pick out my puppy at the breeder's home. I've been searching and searching and haven't had much luck. Any help, dog lovers? This will be my first indoor dog and I cannot wait :D

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
#1 Check out the Standard Schanuzer Club of America
#2 Chances are you're going to have to look outside of WV
#3 You are unlikely to be able to pick your own puppy, the breeder is likely going to pick for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply! My only concern with not being able to pick out my own puppy is the "chemistry" between an owner and her dog that draws you to that puppy in the first place. Since that is such a hard thing to explain, I don't know if a breeder will be able to pick out the best puppy for me.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Oh they will. A lot of good breeders will select which puppy goes to who. They should know their puppies /that well/. They should know which one's personality, temperament and physical characteristics meet your needs best, and a lot of people who have breeder chosen puppies will tell you they couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Trust me, a good breeder will be able to pick out the best pup to fit your needs, they do this all the time.

I second the search on the national breed club. Also look into going to local dog shows, although WV shows are fairly small, and I don't remember seeing many standard schnauzers at the ones I went to.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You are about to have a rough time explaining that to a breeder. This is the person who raised the puppies. Who knows them better? I'm sorry to say but the puppy who runs up to you and gives you the big puppy eyes probably does that to every person who walks into the room. The breeder (of the reputable sort) will ask you some questions, get to know you and what you expect in a dog, and then will either give you a choice between a few pups or advise you to select a certain puppy.

Part of a good breeders job is handing you the correct puppy. Not only do they want puppies to go to good homes but they would prefer that they stay in their good homes. If a breeder just let people pick willy-nilly, people would bring them backing saying, "This one is too strong-willed!" "This one won't go on 3 miles runs!" Some puppies will be more active than others, some will be more stubborn. If you go to a responsible breeder, they will make sure you go home with a puppy who you can bond with and who will be suited to your lifestyle. :)

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I just found all these breeders, but they are in VA. There was only ONE breeder in WV, and their website is defunct. My breed is GSDs, I know nothing about SS, so it's up to you to do the research.

http://www.asgardstandardschnauzers.com/
http://bardhillsstandardschnauzers.blogspot.com
http://www.halcyonschnauzers.com
http://www.quasarstandardschnauzers.com

Also, I put it on my website why I don't let people choose their own puppies. If you want a super outgoing puppy but that puppy happens to be asleep at the time of your visit and you end up taking home the lazy puppy who just happened to be refreshed from a nap at the time, you will be sorely disappointed. It will be a poor match. Not to mention I'm not going to put all my puppies out and then have you fall in love with the puppy I've chosen to keep for exhibition. You will be quite unhappy, lol

If I have more than one puppy that may suit a family's needs, I'm happy to show those puppies together and let people pick, otherwise, I show you your puppy first, and then allow you to see the rest of the litter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys! The standard schnauzer club of america tip was very helpful. And thanks for the breeding tip; a lot of the breeders I had been able to find weren't very helpful in the manner of matching puppies to prospective buyers. I guess I haven't been looking at reputable breeders :eek: I'm new to the buying from a breeder scene, so thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Celtic Cross is a breeder in VA that was expecting a litter this month as per Potomac Valley Standard Schnauzer club's website

http://www.pvssc.org/breeders/

You can also email the SSCA's breeder referral person, as they may know of more people not listed online, or know of litters in the area.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply! My only concern with not being able to pick out my own puppy is the "chemistry" between an owner and her dog that draws you to that puppy in the first place. Since that is such a hard thing to explain, I don't know if a breeder will be able to pick out the best puppy for me.
I tend to agree with you that if I'm going to a breeder I want to be able to pick my pup based on chemistry. But I also go to a breeder for their expertise so I think you can find a middle ground. If you pick out a pup thats completely inappropriate for you a good breeder will be able to tell you why its a no-go. They're looking out for your interests and want a good match too.

You could probably talk beforehand and work out a system where the breeder chooses two or three pups which would be appropriate for you and you pick between those...

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
You could probably talk beforehand and work out a system where the breeder chooses two or three pups which would be appropriate for you and you pick between those...
If there's that many that would fit.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I like this blog post (from a corgi breeder) about puppy buyer etiquette. Here's the relevant bit:

PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT TO CHOOSE YOUR PUPPY. This one drives puppy buyers CRAZY. I know this, trust me. I have a lot of sympathy because I’ve been there. But the fact is that when you come into my house and look at the eight-week-old puppies and one comes up and tugs on your pant leg and you look at me, enraptured, and say “THIS IS IT! He chose ME,” I’ve been looking at people coming into the house all week, and every single time this same puppy has come up and tugged at them and every single one of them have said to me “THIS IS IT!”

What you are seeing is not reality. You are seeing the most outgoing puppy, or you’ve fallen in love with the one that has the most white, or the one that has a different look from the rest of the litter (when I had one blue girl puppy in a litter of black boys, every human that came in the house wanted her; when I had one black girl puppy in a litter of blue boys everyone kept talking about how much they loved HER), or the one that’s been (accidentally) featured the most in the pictures I’ve posted. Or, sometimes, you have a very good instinctive eye and you’re picking the puppy that’s the best put together of the litter. And that puppy, of course, is mine, and you’re going to have to pry him out of my cold dead hands.

My responsibility is not to make you happy. And that, dear friends, is why I am posting this now, and not when I have a bunch of actual puppy buyers around . But it’s the truth. My responsibility is to the BREED first. That’s why my first priority in placing puppies is the show owners, because they are the ones that will (if all goes well) use this dog to keep the breed going. It’s not that I like them better than I like you; it’s that I have to be extremely careful who I place with them so that they can make breeding decisions with the very best genetic material I can hand them. My second responsibility is to the PUPPY. I will place each puppy where I feel that it has the best chance of success and the optimal environment to thrive.

So while I do care, and I will try to take your preferences into account, do not expect to walk into my living room and put your hand in the box and pick whatever puppy you want. And do not expect to be given priority pick because you contacted me first; conversely, do not expect that because you came along late you somehow won’t get a good puppy. Sometimes the person who calls me when the puppies are seven and a half weeks old ends up with what I’d consider the “pick” for various reasons (sometimes because somebody called me up and said they’d gotten a puppy from someone else; see rule 4 above). I am going to try to do my absolute best to match puppies to owners as objectively as I can, not according to who called first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, this has been very informative. Crantastic, I had absolutely no idea there was a kind of puppy buying etiquette. As someone who has always gotten her pets from a rescue organization, the idea of letting someone else pick out my puppy is an entirely new concept to me.
One last question, as I know I've asked a lot. What are your all's preference of male versus female temperament? I know they range from puppy to puppy (of course), but are there any overall personality characteristics of standard schnauzers you've found tend to stick to one gender?
Thanks again, you've helped me find a breeder and given me a quick education :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My little experience (8 dogs in my life) the males were always more affectionate and tended to need human contact more than the females. Please correct me if Im wrong.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I'm just starting to get experience with really good breeders and one of the things I've noticed about them is that they take their time getting to know potential families. The best often seem to want to know you and your family almost as well as they know their own dogs and their pups. I think this requires a lot of patience on the part of a puppy buyer, but is likely why they have such success with placing the right puppy with the right family.

My parents usually chose pups out of the newspaper and, looking back, those were backyard breeders with little knowledge of breeding. It fell on us (most often me) to pick out the right pup and it really was a shot in the dark. Happily, it almost always turned out well. After the sale, we were on our own as far as handling the dog. Dealing with a reputable breeder is a whole different experience. It takes a lot longer, often, to get a puppy. However, already I can ask my breeder any questions and I know they'll be in touch after the sale and I'll be able to contact them for advice. I've gotten to meet our potential puppy's family and get to know those dogs as well as see how my breeder trains and handles their dogs, which gives me a good idea of what I'll need to be doing and what I can expect. It's more like I'm buying a mentor along with a pup who knows the breed and the bloodline intimately and has a vested interest in my puppy's success.

I can understand that many people might prefer buying a puppy to be more like buying a car or anything else, where the seller disappears after the sale and you have your privacy more, but I think I prefer the model where the breeder and buyer have an ongoing relationship. :)

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thanks everyone, this has been very informative. Crantastic, I had absolutely no idea there was a kind of puppy buying etiquette. As someone who has always gotten her pets from a rescue organization, the idea of letting someone else pick out my puppy is an entirely new concept to me.
One last question, as I know I've asked a lot. What are your all's preference of male versus female temperament? I know they range from puppy to puppy (of course), but are there any overall personality characteristics of standard schnauzers you've found tend to stick to one gender?
Thanks again, you've helped me find a breeder and given me a quick education :)
Sorry dont have a standard schnauzer-- the guys who have a standard pup-- have a friendly somewhat submissive male... it think it really depends on the puppy, let the breeder steer you in the direction you want to go!

my current female giant schnauzer is stubborn yet needy/ velcro dog at the same time (ex I am typing in the sun room its really hot in the afternoons and she hates the heat, but no she is right at my feet, she just has to be near me/ likes to see me at all times-- this is the dog I take to the city to work because she digs out to go looking for me and she sits in our condo for 12 hours while I work, so it isnt just separation anxiety)-- she likes to do things her way, doesnt really see the need for obedience (but will work for treats)... Our male-- easygoing affectionate sweet and more biddable-- but he is a Bernese Mt dog.... and he is no where in sight, not as tightly bonded for whatever reason....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts