Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is Lambeau- yes after the field! He is 10 months old, weighs 65 pounds. We adopted him from a shelter and all we know is that he is a shepherd mix. His hair is fairly long & silky and he had dew claws on his rear feet. Thanks for your comments! lambeau 1.jpg lambeau 4.jpg lambeau 2.jpg lambeau 3.jpg

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
His face is so striking! No clue on the mix, though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Is it just me or do I see some kind of bernard, pyranese or other mountain dog in there?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm going to take a guess and say that he's a livestock guardian breed (Anatolian Shepherd?) mixed with a herding breed (Australian Shepherd?) He's gorgeous by the way!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is it just me or do I see some kind of bernard, pyranese or other mountain dog in there?
I can see it too Packmomma.... though I guess a GSD mixed with a number of other breeds could be... but having an Anatolian and a Pyrenees, he does look a little like he may have something like that in him for sure... first glance and I immediately thought of Leonberger cross, but maybe doubtful as they are not all that common... hard to say what else is in there, but I am leaning more towards Anatolian mix rather than GSD mix... of course just a guess........ he is gorgeous by the way.

Does he have single or double dew claws on back?? The other breed that he looks a little like is the English Shepherd... but he looks broader in the head and has the colouring of the Anatolian. I have seen some Pyrenees Anatolian mixes that look like this too.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
At first sight he reminded me of a Leonberger. I know of a lean purebred female that looks like him minus the white on the face. The dew claws make me suspect Great Pyrenees, but overall he doesn't look much like one. Others said Anatolian Shepherd and I can agree that his face sure feels Anatolian. Perhaps an Anatolian/Pyr mix?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your responses. And yes he is a handsome boy! We started researching breeds after he gained so much weight as a puppy, we knew he would be big! - Anatolian Shepherd is what we were thinking too, along with pyreneese. He had single dew claws on his rear feet. His feet are huge! Long (digits/fingers) he uses them like they are hands. I don't know a thing about herding dogs, so I have no idea if he has any of the characteristics. He sniffs constantly when outside- continously having his nose on the grass and makes a snorting sound- like a tracking dog! Anyway, maybe a few details here to give everyone a better idea of his personality! He is a MESS! He gets into everything! This is our 5th dog to adopt & raise! We got him at 8 weeks and he did well training- never had an accident in the house.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anatolian Shepherd is what we were thinking too, along with pyreneese.
It will be interesting for you to watch him develop. I watch my Pyr mix girl and keep wondering which of the breeds in her background she will grow to be most like. Keep in mind that Pyrs are not herding dogs but livestock guardian dogs (LGD). They have thousands of years of breeding to work independently, watching over their stock. They are more cat-like than dog-like; they decide what they do and when. They like to roam and should never be off-leash. They are calm and placid unless challenged by an aggressor or predator. They need a lot of socializing early on to become good house pets.

http://www.greatpyr.com/great_pyrenees_breed_info.php

·
Registered
63 Posts
It will be interesting for you to watch him develop. I watch my Pyr mix girl and keep wondering which of the breeds in her background she will grow to be most like. Keep in mind that Pyrs are not herding dogs but livestock guardian dogs (LGD). They have thousands of years of breeding to work independently, watching over their stock. They are more cat-like than dog-like; they decide what they do and when. They like to roam and should never be off-leash. They are calm and placid unless challenged by an aggressor or predator. They need a lot of socializing early on to become good house pets.

http://www.greatpyr.com/great_pyrenees_breed_info.php
I have an anatolian and a pyrenees purely for guarding the sheep... the anatolian boy guards everything, including the barn cat.... patrols the immediate pastures of our 300 acre ranch, but he doesn't go far from the house/barn and his sheep..... and he never goes off our property...thank goodness.... just pees on everything, everday to let those coyotes and other predators know that this is "his" territory.... he also periodically pees on the barn cat.... :laugh:

I would be interested to know if the mixed LGDs still retain that unique independent nature that the purebreds or those that are bred specifically like Anatolian x Pyr. Mine are working and I won't be breeding them at all.... and will be spaying the female to avoid any unwanted puppies.... I know the Anatolian X Pyr pupppies apparently are very good working dogs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would be interested to know if the mixed LGDs still retain that unique independent nature that the purebreds or those that are bred specifically like Anatolian x Pyr.
So far it seems that my half Pyr has acquired some of the Border Collie and Springer desire to retrieve. I understand that Pyrs are as likely to retrieve a ball as a cat, some do and some don't. My vet tells me that my girl is also more hyper than purebred Pyr puppies he's seen. I hope the Pyr kicks in and that she mellows as she ages past this four-month-old stage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
We have had him in the house since we brought him home-8 weeks. We made sure and introduced him to lots of people and places! He does ok in the house, not any different than other puppies, gets into everything. He loves to go and run on the baseball or football fields where it is fenced in. He is also very hyper- it has been 9 years since our last puppy, and I forgot what they were like LOL! Really it's like having a toddler again! I forgot to add that he is 25" tall -ground to mid back.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Looks anatolian to me. I see that pyr/anatolians mixes are popular on the LGD websites. My anatolian is so mild mannered. She gets along great with all the dogs, cats, and horses. We nicknamed her the 'babysitter'. Roaming has not been an issue with her. She patrols her boundaries especially at night. The one negative thing that might be a problem for the city owners, is they do tend to bark, esp at night. They do this to ward off predators. They would rather chase away something than to confront them. would I consider getting another one? You bet!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I burst out laughing at your quote/joke and picture of the couch occupants! As a social worker in the school s I had funds to allocate to students. If the student was responsible, the parents agreeable, I would provide funds for them to purchase from a shelter a dog and then I would send the student to dog obedience classes. It was better than therapy. Of course I kept up with the new pet via pictures and phone calls to the parents. It was wonderful and a great way to get a dog a home and a student to bond and learn responsibility. Sometimes girls I saw used the fund to purchase a cat. They reported the purring would relax and put them to sleep at night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to check in to see if anyone else had thoughts on Lambeau's breed. His is now 1 year and 2 months and weighs 80 pounds. He has gotten alot taller- 26 inches measured from ground to middle of back. Also, one interesting characteristic we have noticed is that he pounces on everything and everyone almost like a kangaroo- not acting in a mean way at all- just likes to 2 paw pounce on people, bugs, dogs etc!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts