Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my dog traveled from California to Peru, and are staying with my Brother. He has an english bulldog. My dog is a poodle/maltese mix. My dog is 3 and the bulldog is 2.

They're both males dogs. the bulldog wants to play. Since he's fat, he comes toward him aggressively (in a nice way) My dog didnt seem to like him. I dont know if it has to do with the fact that he's adjusting to this new environment, or it's because theyre both males? My dog seems to be also scared of him. He gets defensive, shows his teeth and growls. He already bit him too. The bulldog just wants to play. He cries and wags his tail. My dog just looks the other way, is stiff.

We had them meet in a neutral space (the park) and my dog just didn't seem interested. How can I have my dog get along with my brother's bulldog?

Also, my dog is social and playful. We used to live with a female pitbull and two cats. So it's not like my dog is anti social. My dog is also very playful, so his behavior is odd to me. I just want him to get along with his new buddy.

Any tips? How long might it take for them to get along? What can we do? or what can I do for him to stop this behavior and be nice? I've pet the bulldog and play with him so he sees I like him too, perhaps he'd accept him like that.

HELP!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I don't know too much about this, but can you take them for a walk together- each dog with their person? You can put the 2 people in the middle, dogs to the outside.

SOemtimes dogs just don't take to each other, but the biting would be a concern to me. Never leave them alone- if you have to leave them unattended crate 1 or both of them. And tether your pup to you while you all are in the house together.

Did your bro's dog require medical attention?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My dog just nipped him near the face. Did bleed a little bit. No medical attention. When we all leave, I keep my dog in my room and their dog stays in the kitchen. Ill write back in a little, gotta head out. Thank u for replying though. Ill respond detailed later :)

- we just got back from the park. there was another dog there and my dog was wagging his tail, allowing the other dog to smell him. but with my bro's dog, he still was stiff. they got closer to each other and was ok, but once my brothers dog got in his 'personal' space, my dog, showed his teeth.

Do you think with time, if we keep taking them on walks together, theyll get used to each other?
I feel like my dog isnt comfortable also with the way my brothers dog comes at him. He comes towards him in a strong way, and i feel that makes my dog uncomfortable which then makes him feel like he has to get defensive.

we just want them to be able to be in the living room together.
even better if they can play.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If your dog does not like the other dog there is not a lot you can do about it. Like you said he is not anti social. Some dogs just rub other dogs the wrong way. We camp and most of my family has a dog or two they bring with them. Some of them do not get along but we just make the most of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dog does that sometimes too!! The best way I worked around it was to go outside keep them on a lead speak to them in calm shouting doggie talk and let them get to know each other for 5 mins - try not to give your brothers dog attention as this might make yours jealous. Then after a while if you have see that they calmed down show them a tennis ball or a bottle of water and try let yours grab it - then release them and throw the ball. This works for me when my dog meets new dogs most of the time! Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your dog does not like the other dog there is not a lot you can do about it. Like you said he is not anti social. Some dogs just rub other dogs the wrong way. We camp and most of my family has a dog or two they bring with them. Some of them do not get along but we just make the most of it.

we just got back to the park. they can be near each other, but once the bulldog gets in his personal space, my dog shows his teeth. he nipped at him again :/ I feel so bad.

Maybe its because theyre both male dogs. Also maybe because he knows the house we're in is the bulldog's space (it smells like him)

Also, the bulldog comes at im in a hard/aggressive manner (in a nice, playful way though) idk if that perhaps makes my dog uncomfortable & feels like he has to get defensive.

We just want them to be able to be in the same room without having to separate them. And if the bulldog wants to play, I just want my poodle mix to play as well like he usually does :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your response. we just got back from the park. i took a toy and treats to reward my dog if he showed good behavior. he kept showing his teeth though, but at times, they were near each other and was fine. My dog ignores the bulldog a lot as well. Looks the other way.
There was another dog at the park, and my dog let that dog smell him, he was wagging his tail and everything. but again, with my bros dog, he gets stiff.

Do you think with time theyll be ok? just take them to the park everyday together and walk them together?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts