Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a welsh terrior that used to be pretty good about going to the bathroom outside! used to have an accident every so often... but now its turned into an everyday thing! ill take him for a nice 20 minute walk and almost the instant we get inside he will poop on the floor... if i catch him mid poop and take him outside right away he will not go and then will finish once we get back inside?! he is about 1.5 years old and is an apartment dog for the next month or so, so i cant just keep him in his crate while he is inside since thats where he gets most of his play time? it seems to have gotten worse since the addition of a new puppy? but the puppy is really good about not going inside so i dont think he is picking up bad habits from her? any help or suggestions would be great!! please and thank you!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
what do yu do when he does go on the floor?

I would tell him no potty on the floor bad dog then take him back outside. See if he goes 1 or 2 then praise. Untill then I would re crate train him! Untill they stop mine only took a little less than a week they stayed in their crate all the time unless potty or for a walk. That has worked everytime so far!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
ill take him for a nice 20 minute walk and almost the instant we get inside he will poop on the floor...
Don't go back in the house when you get back. Walk around the yard with him leashed. If he doesn't go, walk inside (leashed) for 30 seconds and then go right back outside. Keep doing this until he goes outside and then praise him like crazy.

I would also investigate the changes that he might be going through since you brought the puppy home. Does he get as much attention as he used to? Did his routine change? And finally, make sure you remove all trace of the smell in the house with a commercial product meant to strip doggie smell away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes he gets just as much attention! if not more... when he does go inside then we tell him no bad dog and all that fun stuff and then take him outside... but obviously he does not go outside then... cuz he just went inside... lol and on the walk there is plenty of standing around encouraging him to go... but no luck! i guess ill have to give the crate training thing another go around...

·
Registered
301 Posts
to me it sounds like he is marking HIS territiry since the new puppy came!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts