Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Melon, a 5 yr old mixed dog, from the shelter last week. She is the sweetest little thing ever, very attached to me already. She sits in front of my bedroom door to wait for me to wake up every morning:) i just love her so much! But! She won't eat!!!! it is so frustrating because I worry about her so much yet I don't want to spoil her by feeding her people food which she seems to like. I tried giving her food for 10 mins and then taking it away but she just won't eat period. Yesterday she threw up yellow bile because she was so hungry... I don't know what to do. She also has kennel cough and is taking antibiotics for that. She doesn't seem to get better though, just keeps coughing and starving.. Today she refused to take her medicine wrapped in a pill pocket...I call the vet, he didn't really give me a good answer about how to feed her..
other than that she has just been so wonderful, already housetrained, does not bark/chew/jump on sofas. She follows me around like a piece of bacon.
Please!! any help will be much appreciated!! this is my first dog and i'm 20.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try peanut butter around the pill. If that does not work then just shove it as far down her thoat as you can. With Kennel cough just keep her a quite as you can don't ask for her to move around except to go potty. A dark quite place is good. The more rest she gets the better. Sometimes if you hold some kibble in your hand they will eat some. Don't worry she won't starve.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Maybe try canned food instead of dry, she if she'll eat that. Or you could feed her "people food" things that are good for her. i.e. my dog LOVES apples, carrots, peanut butter, cheese I'm sure he would love some boiled chicken, but I don't eat meat. Sometimes people use the items I have listed above as treats. I certainly wouldn't feed her pizza or anything like that, but fruits and veggies are ok and actually can be benificial to the dog. If you decide to try that, you should google what foods can be poisonous to dogs such as grapes and raisins. I think there might be a list here somewhere on the forum. Also since you just got her last week she's probably still adjusting. And maybe you could try hand feeding? That's what I had to do with my dog the 1st 2 weeks I had him because he was absolutely terrified of the food bowl.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Have you switched her food from what she was eating? Maybe mix the wet with the dry. Scrambled eggs ALWAYS make my dogs go nuts! Also, the antibiodics may have an effect on her appetite. She will eat when she gets hungry enough. It's hard to do but no people junk food. You could also wrap her pill in a small piece of cheese...mine almost take my fingers off when I do that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
825 Posts
When I adopted Ozzy he wouldn't eat either. He is 7 years old and is such a good dog just like your Melon. I started putting some chicken broth in the food and he gobbled it up. I am now in the process of weaning him off of the chicken broth, which is frustrating because he has been shunning his meals sometimes. So, be patient, Melon won't starve herself! Let us now how she is doing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oops...I've been taking her on lots of walks, maybe that's making her cough more? I'm buying her cough suppressant tomorrow..hopefully i can find that at Petsmart.
Thanks for all the great advice and suggestions!! you guys are so nice:)
Melon ate her medicine after I stuffed it into her mouth. She did not eat anything else except a lil can food.
Another question: are 5-yr-old dogs supposed to be very mellow and chilled out? Melon is the least energetic dog I've ever met. She just follows me around and sits next to me. She likes her daily walks though. I don't know if this is unusual but she does not bark at all even when she sees another dog.
Thanks again for all the help. Having a dog makes me feel very motherly and paranoid lol.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
you can buy the cough med at walmart you need the human one that ihas dm in it
if she has kennel cough did they give her doxie for 10 days she just might not be up to par because of the kennel cough
jamie

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I think five year old dogs are the best! All grown up and they know the world and how it works. I don't think that is why your new girl is quiet, I think she is sick, the medicine is bothering her tummy and she is really worried about all the changes in her life. Give her a month to get well, start eating and get used to her new wonderful life.

Try putting something yummy around her pill AND [this is sneaky] prepare three yummies. Give her a plain yummy, then the yummy pill then the last plain yummy. Do it fast so she has to swallow before chewing any of them. My poor old girl is taking a giant icky antibiotic this way and she doesn't want to eat either. I am using bread and so far have gotten away with it three times. 21 days x 2 a day. Wish me luck!

Sassy did the not eating thing when I got her too. It was really hard to pick up her food when she didn't eat and she was confused only a week or so. Since your new dog is sick cut her some slack. Buy canned dog food of the same type as the kibble and mix a spoonful in. If she isn't eating cut the food offered in half. The kibble amount listed on the bag is probably too much food anyway. My dogs got less than a cup a day and the bag had 1-2 cups listed for their weight.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Good advice from everyone here.

I would try to stimulate her appetite with some boiled ground turkey or chicken and rice, or some baby food (Gerber Stage 2 meat and gravy). The meat/rice mix is also good if she's got an upset stomach. Give her small amounts, 3 or 4 times a day. It might help.

Once she's eating on a regular basis, gradually add in the kibble and reduce the meat/rice mixture.

If you find she's eating the soft food but not touching the kibble you might want to get her teeth checked. She might be having a dental problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the expertise!!!
Melon REALLY likes chicken!:) I'm gonna try peanut butter and cheese later too.

dogs can take cough suppressant for people?

Melon has something coming out of her nose...is that normal for kennel cough??????????????????????????????????????

I really hope it's not distemper:eek:

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Kennel cough is an upper respiratory infection...somewhat like a cold. She has a runny nose is all. And yes dogs can take people cough medicine but give it to her in an amount for a child. If you take 2 T you won't give her that much. It will probably make her a little sleepy too. Just keep her as quiet as possible and limit the walks to going potty. She probably feels pretty crummy right now. :(

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Kennel cough is an upper respiratory infection...somewhat like a cold. She has a runny nose is all. And yes dogs can take people cough medicine but give it to her in an amount for a child. If you take 2 T you won't give her that much. It will probably make her a little sleepy too. Just keep her as quiet as possible and limit the walks to going potty. She probably feels pretty crummy right now. :(
I would check with a vet first before giving human medicine.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I agree with RBark.

Personally, if she's being treated for kennel cough and the meds are working, I'd seek another opinion.

Kennel cough is not to be taken lightly and frankly if you're concerned it might be distemper.. get to a vet.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
When was she last at the vets? Did they want to do a recheck? I would call them and discuss your concerns with them prior to administering any meds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Melon went 2 the vet last monday. Well I also called my vet yesterday and he told me to be patient. I don't really know if my dog is getting better though. Her coughs just sound kinda different everyday. I guess I'll just take her to see the vet again is she doesn't get better.
Btw is Science Diet a not-so-good brand for dog food? Melon seems disgusted by it.
She did eat lots of chicken and rice today:) I have to say watching your dog eat is such a satisfying feeling.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm glad Melon is eating the chicken and rice... :) eating will also help her keep up her strength to help her fight her illness, and that's the goal. I would keep her on the chicken/rice mix for at least week (possibly longer)then gradually start adding in kibble. The chicken/rice is easy on her tummy and maybe that's what she needs right now.

Science Diet is generally recognized as a not so good food.

Now would also be the time to get some sample bags of a better quality kibble from your local stores. Use it as treats to see how Melon reacts to them. Whichever one she likes the best is the one to use when you start weaning her off the chicken/rice. Just go slowly.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I once had 3 dogs have it at the same time (one got it from the groomer and passed it on to the others). I could always tell which one was coughing because they all sounded different. If Melon was not in good health to begin with (being a rescue) it is probably hitting her really hard. As Renoman said, the fact that she is eating will help her get better.

You are doing the right thing...just try to be patient. It's hard, I know, because the cough sounds so bad. You are in touch with your vet and that is also a good thing.

Keep us posted. Hang in there! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts