Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 year old mixed breed that was a rescued dog 5 years ago. He has always been fussy when going to the bathroom. He has never pooped in the yard (he only goes when we go for our walks) but he will urinate in the yard. We go for two walks a day, 6:30am and 4:30pm for minimum 30 minutes and that is when he usually poops.

Well, about 6 weeks ago we moved to a new city. Things are different for both him and I. He has adjusted well to the new house and is eating normally but he will not poop most days. When we go for walks, he seems almost upset and walks with his tail down. I can tell he wants to poop but when he starts to get into position, he just backs off and looks at me like something is wrong. I have even tried taking him to off leash areas and I have the same issue.

Yesterday after four walks starting Monday morning with no poops, I came home and he had pooped on the floor. I guess he could not hold it any more.

Please keep telling me that he just needs time to adjust but it has been 6 weeks now since we have moved. The first week or two he was actually just find and pooping normal. He's been to the vet and everything is fine health wise. No change in food and I have tried to stick to our routine as best we can but in a different city.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I am at my wits end and don't know what his issue is. I feel bad as he must be uncomfortable not pooping and don't want him to start going on the floor.

Please give me suggestions.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Can you put some of his poop in the place where you'd like him to poop? It doesn't need to be a lot, just enough for him to smell.

Or try matching-

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/matching.html

Lots of short walks/treats to get him used to his new area. Once he is more familiar with it, he may be more comfortable pooping there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts