Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP! My lab Lucifer HATES to ride in the car. So far I have only taken him on short trips to the beach etc but next week we are driving 200 miles to my parents house. What can I do to keep him calm in the car ?? He whines, foams at the mouth and shakes the whole time we are in the car. Will he possibly calm down on a longer car ride ? I have had him almost a year and he has always been like this. My daughter suggested a thunder shirt ? Any thoughts or ideas on this ?

I even thought about kenneling him locally but the cost was wayyyy too much and I really want him to get better in the car anyway..... I can't crate him in the car , my car is too small.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have never used the dog version of this, but I have used the horse version on my horses. I used to have a friend that used it on her dog.

https://www.dynamitemarketing.com/OrderCustom.asp?InvDispCatID=&InvDispSubCatID=18

I would totally try it on my dog if he was afraid of a situation. It makes them feel calmer without sedating. My horse is very afraid of horse trailers. I cannot even get him to load into one without Dynamite Relax. I have tried other products prescribed by the vet, none worked as well as this.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never used the dog version of this, but I have used the horse version on my horses. I used to have a friend that used it on her dog.

https://www.dynamitemarketing.com/OrderCustom.asp?InvDispCatID=&InvDispSubCatID=18

I would totally try it on my dog if he was afraid of a situation. It makes them feel calmer without sedating. My horse is very afraid of horse trailers. I cannot even get him to load into one without Dynamite Relax. I have tried other products prescribed by the vet, none worked as well as this.
Shoot I don't think I have time to order this. I will check with the local feed store to see what they have I guess.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I saw you posted in the other thread, safe for dogs and dosage you saw on other page :) you could try a little trial perhaps give him half a tab and then take him on a little car ride round the block in half an hours time after he's taken it? That way you will get an idea of an effective dosage and know if its gonna work or not?

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have always had good success giving a car sick dog vitamen B half hour before travelling. Just one tab is all we have always used.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw you posted in the other thread, safe for dogs and dosage you saw on other page :) you could try a little trial perhaps give him half a tab and then take him on a little car ride round the block in half an hours time after he's taken it? That way you will get an idea of an effective dosage and know if its gonna work or not?
great idea, I will give it a try

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have always had good success giving a car sick dog vitamen B half hour before travelling. Just one tab is all we have always used.
I don't think he gets carsick, just very anxious. If the melatonin doesnt' work though I will give the vitamen B a shot

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
With my pup, it just took time and a lot of really miserable short car rides. Now he rides like a pro! Hops right up into his crate and lays down. He'll whine a little sometimes, but no more of the panicked shrieking until he barfs. I started giving him really special treats every time we were in the car, and I think that might have helped. Or he just got used to it, hard to tell. When we took him on a long (3 hr) trip, we gave him a really hard workout before we left, I got his most favorite bones to chew, and it turned out he just curled up in his bed and slept the whole time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts