Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My German Shepherd keeps on having chronic diaeheea and hes eating it!
We first thought it was a food allergies, so we gave him other food (I cook him rice and we mix it with wet gluten free dog food)
Then we took him to the vet and he said it was parasites (he had a poop sample)
So he gave him a shot,
but his diarheea is STILL there!
And he eats it :eek:
I dont know what to do anymore!
Not even the vet could help us!
Other than that he is in a great shape.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Coprophagia can be caused by a lot of things. The easiest way to stop it is to just scoop (or mop) up the mess AS SOON AS IT HAPPENS - let the dog eliminate on leash and take them away from it before they can indulge.

One of the main reasons for it typically is a nutritional problem. Parasites can cause loose stool (especially giardia) and it may be that your pup DID have parasites but that wasn't the root cause. Time for another vet visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know... I already made up an appointment...
I also read you should put hot sauce or citrus juice on the poop..ins't the hot sauce way a little brutal?
Could it also be that he does not have enough nutrition because the food we give him (a lot of rice plus 1 can wet dog food a day, hes 6months old and weighs 41lb)
We can not give him more of the wet dog food bc we can not afford it, but we do give him a vitamin tablets for dogs every day.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
That sounsd like a horrendously unbalanced diet, to be honest. I would recommend putting him on a decent-quality dry dog food (MUCH more nutritionally dense than RICE! and canned dog food, which is mostly water. Even the cheap cans of wet dog food are 2-3 cans per day for a dog that size!). I'd suggest something like Diamond Naturals or Kirkland - it's about $25-30 for a 40 pound bag, and that should last your dog at least 6 weeks. I suspect he's just starving for usable calories and protein, let alone vitamins.

You have a GSD - oen of the MOST prone breeds to orthopedic problems. Nutrition is VITAL in preventing this. Please, get the dog some good food TODAY or rehome him with someone who can afford to feed him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we do give him one of the big cans (about 2 small ones) which are of a pretty good kind and we feed our other dogs Purina and he is allergic against it.
It is most likely soy or corn.
It is hard to find a dog food that does not cost 50 dollar a bad that does not contain any of the ingredients.
But I will try the food you recommended :)

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Well we do give him one of the big cans (about 2 small ones) which are of a pretty good kind and we feed our other dogs Purina and he is allergic against it.
It is most likely soy or corn.
It is hard to find a dog food that does not cost 50 dollar a bad that does not contain any of the ingredients.
But I will try the food you recommended :)
That is still not enough nutrition for a growing pup. Seriously. What about feeding chicken backs/necks/frames (frames are the best since they typically have some organ meet attached) and rice and a different veggie every week? That's pretty balanced and very inexpensive; you can get chicken frames usually for $0.20 a pound or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts