Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my little dog got knocked over by a bigger dog 3days ago. he looked like he was dead and not moving so my friend and i was giving him mouth to mouth and rubbing his belly and back and he came around withing seconds. i think he was unconsions. we got him to the vet as soon as we could and he was moving all his lets and was having trouble breathing.

he is breathing fine and the vet said he has had a head trauma which could be very bad if its giving him brain damage! aim so so so upset and i don't know what to do! he is not a veg table but he cant stand and seems to be very slow. it hasn't been 24hr yet since the accident so aim not to sure what will happen yet.
MY QUESTION IS.......
has anyone had a dog with a head trauma? do they serive? how long should i give my little dog be for i put him asleep? how many days should i keep him going be for i should see an improvement in him? he is not in pain and wags his little tail when he see me and my family. he looks like he has lost all balance and seems to lift his head alot to one side. has anyone been though this and have any good information that would help me! i will do all my best for my baby and if this life is in pain or not a good Quality of life and will put him to sleep, but i just want a little hope and to know if they can get better!
thank you
Rebecca drane

Additional Details
Bruce is slowing getting better every day. he is wagging his tail and started to stand up and can walk! iam so proud of my little baby and so happy that he is slowly getting a little better. the bad new came today when the vet said that bruce is not keeping any food down. he keeps being sick. the vet said i might have to put him down and it has broken my heart! i dont know how to cope with this news as i have been trying my best to be strong for him and seeing him and giving him cuddles and he has been getting better and better every day! the vet said that the knock on the head might have upset his nevers sistem to stop him getting the food to his belly it just sits in this thistroagous and he cant get better.he eats and drinks his food. but then he was sick. does any one know any thing about how dogs swollow and eat? he is my little baby and i love him so so much, we have came so so far with him and now this! my heart is brocken and i dont know what to do but to give him some more time to just see.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'd contact a 2nd vet for another opinion.

Head trauma can cause dizziness/nausea/vomiting. These can go away as the brain heals. Is your dog on IV fluids since he can't keep food down?

I'd definitely want a second opinion, as I think I'd want to make sure I am giving the dog enough time to heal before considering euth.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
At least give him a few months. Dogs can be very resilient.

I had a dog that had a stroke and could not even stand, within 6 months she was well enough to run and play fetch again. She lived many more years happy and healthy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou for everyones comments and help. little Bruce came home the other day and seems to be copeing well! he is keeping food down but has to be feed very high so the food goes down better. he is trys to run and play but is very wobbly and he is happy to see everyone even the vet! he is such a lovely happy little dog and everyone who has looked after him at the vets have fell in love with him. he is such a little fighter. he is living at my nans at the moment to get better as i dont want my other dogs to knock him over or try and bully him as he is not 100%. and she can give him 24h care as i have got to go back to work to pay for the vet bills! i will post some videos on youtube to show how he is getting better and to show to people that head traumas can get better as i did not believe that he ever could when he first went in the vets! thankyou everyone for the comments and help.
iam a very lucky girl to have such a strong little fighter!
thankyou everyone!
Rebecca and Brucexxx

1 - 8 of 8 Posts