Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Sarah and I just adopted a puppy in Madrid, Spain. Her name is Pulga (which means flea). The people at the shelter told us she was 3 months and would be "medium sized", but then the vet told my boyfriend that she's 1 1/2 months and is at least part mastiff. (Apparently because of her dew claws). If anyone's good at guessing breeds, would you mind taking a look at her? We want to have some sense of just how big this baby's going to get. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CciS1JIBI3Y Thanks in advance for your help!

All the best,

Sarah

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
she looks MUCH closer to 3 months old than 1.5 months old. she doesn't look to be much mastiff ether did the vet say why he thought her dew claws looked "mastiffy"? thats a very strange thing, all dogs have dew claws many even have dew claws on their back feet and some even have two dewclaws on both their back feet

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I don't see any mastiff in her, either. And I agree, she looks a lot bigger than 1.5 months. I don't even think Great Danes are that big at that age.

I personally see some herding breed and terrier. I think she'd be a medium sized 50# tops breed.

·
Registered
154 Posts
She is adorable! I don't see any mastiff, but she reminds me of a little hound mix. She's very coordinated already so i'm thinking she's several months old. How much does she weigh?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the help! No, the vet didn't say why he was thinking the dew claws were "mastiffy", although she does have them on all four feet. She also still has only a few very little teeth, which I think is why he thought she was younger. She also has webbed feet and blue eyes, which I'm not sure you can see in the video. Are any of those facts helpful?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks so much for the help! No, the vet didn't say why he was thinking the dew claws were "mastiffy", although she does have them on all four feet. She also still has only a few very little teeth, which I think is why he thought she was younger. She also has webbed feet and blue eyes, which I'm not sure you can see in the video. Are any of those facts helpful?
With the webbed feet and light eyes, she could have some Chesapeake Bay Retriever in her. Some pics of the breed: http://www.puppypoopy.com/ch1.html

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
I believe I've heard that all dogs have webbed feet. And puppies have blue eyes up until a certain period.

She might only have a few teeth because she's teething. If he can't tell the difference, I think I'd find a new vet.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
She doesn't look 6 weeks old, that's for sure. I'd say 3 months sounds about right. She kind of looks like a Dobe mix to me. The light colored Dobes have that shade of eyes. Puppies don't have a lot of baby teeth, and they often look small after the pup is 3 or 4 months old. Then they start falling out and being replaced by the adult teeth. She's a cutie anyway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts