Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandma lost her 9 year old Lab a few days ago and she is waiting a bit before getting another dog. She is still extremely distraught over losing Silka.

But she is very interested in researching different breeds, etc. She knows I am the dog guru so figured she'd ask me for help. Now I am going to ask you for help.

She's a young 66. She doesn't act old (or look it, lol) and her husband is 10 years younger than her. They have a fenced in yard, medium size, not huge, but not tiny.

She works at the hospital at a 9-5 type job, his schedule is more flexible. I think he's home by 3 most days.

Realistically, I can't see my grandma doing more than playing ball and fetch in the backyard and going on walks - they have nice trails and paths all around them.

She's expressed interest in "Golden Doodles" which I am trying to talk her out of. She doesn't really understand the whole BYB thing or anything. So I'm nicely trying to persuade her otherwise.

Her husband likes Boxers - I told her they tend to be bouncy and jumpy and can be dog aggressive, as I don't think they are the right breed for them at ALL. In an e-mail, she told me she was interested in the Irish Terrier, Old English Bulldog, Scottish Terrier, but Dan wants a boxer but she's leaning towards Doodle.

I am just not sure a terrier is right for her? Going from a Lab who was very easy-going... didn't really require walks in her later days and was happy just playing in the backyard and hanging out inside.

Havanese? But she leans towards bigger dogs.... hmmm...

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Being that her Lab was 9, does she really remember what a puppy is like? I know we all tend to forget, LOL.

If you could find an older Lab-or-Golden/Poodle mix in rescue, that could work. As puppies, they're just as bad as pure Labs. I've also met some pretty mellow Goldens, but you have to know what the breeder generally produces, not get just any Golden from any breeder. Her breed choices are pretty random, sounds like she's going by looks. . .ask her what she actually wants in a dog, personality-wise.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, I keep trying to get her to go for an adult. She's set on a puppy *sigh* I really don't think she knows what she's in for.... lol. I feel like her Lab had JUST calmed down.

I guess I forgot in the first post, there's six grandkids. I am the oldest so I don't count. The others range from 2-11. So they have to enjoy kids. Though they probably only come over twice a month to her house or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Would she go for a greyhound? They don't seem like any of the breeds she is interested in, so maybe not, but they are a typically mellow large breed...

·
Registered
400 Posts
I was going to suggest a Greyhound, too. Some of them coming off the track are very young- around 1-2 years. They are very easy keepers! The only thing- when they walk her they would have to keep her on a leash. Greys are notorious for bolting. :) They are SO loving, loyal, sweet, not hyper but love a good walk or run in the yard. They come in all colors and patterns, and are usually available from "teenagers" up to broods retiring from the farm. They are clean, don't require a lot of grooming, love to "hang out" and snooze with their people or go on adventures. Thousands "grade off" the track each year and are available for adoption. I have had 3 Greyhounds and highly suggest them!! They are wonderful and your Grandma sounds perfect!

Jen

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I actually think mild, adult terriers make great pets for dog savvy people who want a companion but aren't super into training or exercise. They've got personality. But with young grandkids I'm a little more leery. What about a Springer Spaniel? Boston Terrier?

I hate 'em, but Doodles make pretty good pets. Getting one from a source you don't feel scummy about is hard, but I know tons of people who have a Poodle mix and are really happy with them. I wouldn't ask one to do anything more than walk on a leash and sit on the couch, but if that's what you want they're pretty good at it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm new here and this is my first post, but, I thought I would love to suggest some ideas! What about a grayhound? I lived with 3 a few years ago and they are big dog but very calm and gentle. Terriers are very hyper dogs most of the time. Might not be a good match. But grayhounds are perfect!!!!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
What about a Golden instead of a golden doodle? I find although they're energetic, they're good at settling down. Most Goldens I know (not field lines) only get 2 walks a day and maybe some fetch or dog park time.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I used to laugh at the whatever-doodles, then I met a couple and they're nice dogs all right, but I don't know that there's any difference between temperamentally between goldydoodle and golden. At least with Golden, you can anticipate what you're going to get.

BTW, about terriers, I have a Westie, and he'd make an excellent pet for Grandma, based on your description. He'll fetch *sometimes*, but he's always ready to chase a ball down. If we don't exercise him enough, he just does high-speed laps around the sofa or something. Just saying, no need to rule 'em out, in my experience.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ugh.... well, she is getting a Boxer on Saturday. I warned her about exercise requirements and energy and all that. But she seems dead-set and is very happy. I am not sure what else I am supposed to say. She is going to a "breeder" near Penn State - I am sure they are not superb. She wants a White Boxer too. *sigh* Well, she sounds like she is willing to do this. She knows she's going to need a lot of exercise. She said she has a plan already to go for a long walk in the AM, and her husband Dan will come home mid-day to take her for a walk, then when she gets home at 5, they will go for another walk. She's already looked into training classes and wants to get the pup enrolled right away. She is setting up a crate tomorrow. She's asking me about food, and vaccines, etc.... she really wants to do everything right this time. There is also a dog park nearby her. So I think with my help in certain things, I think she will be happy. I am happy for her. She couldn't even get out of bed the other day after her Lab died and know she just has an excitement in her voice. She said she couldn't wait until after the holidays.

Sooo.... I guess I need to find out as much about Boxers as possible. I've dogsat for 2 for three years so I know those two fairly well.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would suggest a fluffy little white dog because she is a Grandma. I know very little about dog breeds, but I do know that Grandmas always seem to have fluffy little white dogs. :p
Bichon
Westie
Greyhound
Japanese Chin
Cavalier
Standard poodle (to go with the grandma hair)
LOL - you guys are funny! She's not really a 'grandma' - most people think she's my mom. She's got blond hair, a little bit past her shoulder, uses a flat iron, LOL.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
She is going to a "breeder" near Penn State - I am sure they are not superb. She wants a White Boxer too.
Well, I'm sure you know all the things, but I also know there's only so much you can say when someone has their mind set. So, my best wishes for your grandmother! STRONGLY warn her away from a White though, they have a very good chance of being deaf in at least one ear. Dogs that only have hearing in one ear have a hard time localizing sounds, so if the dog ever gets loose he can have a really hard time finding you again if you're calling for him. There is a hearing test that can be done on puppies. If you cannot see the results of a BAER test, walk away, at the very least from the white puppy.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did tell her they have a high chance of being deaf..... she seemed to fall "deaf" to me saying it, lol. I will shoot her another text probably tomorrow just to warn her. There are a few to choose from, pups are 11 weeks old, I think. Her husband wants a Fawn. So pray they fall in love with a fawn or brindle.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well if she's a young 66 as you have described her a Boxer is definitely within her ability I am now 3/4s of a century old and if you have read anything about our new dumpee dog Pierce, he is a definite accident waiting to happen, but he has become a full fledged, in the home, pain in the butt family member that will be here as long as we are. He has had wife and I stomachs sore and tears rolling out of eyes laughing at some of the silly stuff he has done to us and just his general carefree attitude. But and a big but he is a handful, course he weighed in at 67 lbs when we got him.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've had three boxers in my life :)

They are great dogs, GREAT with kids, but a little too high energy for me.

That's why I like my frenchie LOL. He's like a smaller boxer, but lazier and more compact and portable LOL

1 - 20 of 33 Posts