Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued a 4 month chihuahua at a shelter. The first night she wasn't so bad, and was socializing. But now she won't eat, throws up after drinking water, and is very lethargic.

I went to the vet and she gave me medication for her, along with a steroid and benadryl for her so it could increase her appetite. However it's been about 6 hours, and she still won't eat. I also gave her her medication and she ended up throwing it up a minute later.

Is there anything else I could do, or will she get better in time? :/

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If she can't keep the medication down I would consider going back to the vet for IV treatment. A chihuaha puppy can't go too long without food and water because of their dmall size.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Where I live the first thing we do is check for parvo, but that usually involves diarrhea. It was kind of stupid for a vet to give oral treatments to a dog who isn't keeping anything down, no offense. Go back and ask for an IV treatment, buy yourself some Nutri-Cal. Chihuahuas very often get low blood sugar, very quickly. You can also offer pedialyte to keep her hydrated, see if she can keep that down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts