Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my bull terrier tomorrow, and I want to make sure I get the right kind of food for him. the owner is flying a lady with the dog to me, and she is giving me whats left of the food, but i have a question blah. a dumb one at that...

is a bull terrier considered a large breed? Should I buy large breed food? Its a pure english bull terrier, but the guy thinks its going to be fairly smaller then a normal sized one. he guesses 30 pounds. but he could be wrong. anyways, should i get large breed puppy food?? or just regular. I dont want to hurt my pup as i know BT are prone to displasia and kidney problems. I know the formulas for large breed and regular pup food are different. please help me and help nero!!

this is him at 6.5 weeks. he is 8 weeks today.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Aw man, I love BTs. Their little egg heads are adorable.

And nope, they aren't a large breed ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would consider bull terriers to be medium-sized dogs, not large. As far as puppy food is concerned, it's all a matter of how much you are willing to spend on your dog. I know a lot of people who compromise the health of their dogs to save money but if you want to do what's best for your dog, you should spend a little extra to get premium dog food. I recommend feeding a raw diet, but if you don't have the time or energy for it, you will probably prefer kibble. Some of the better puppy kibble is Orijen, Horizon Legacy, Artemis Fresh, Innova, or Wellness. I also recommend that you look through http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/. It has great reviews of dog food for all life stages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I've wanted one since I was 8 years old, and I am 26 now, so its been a looooooooong time coming haha. I have been actively looking for the right pup for about 6 months now, and bought this guy 3 days ago. needless to say i havent slept in 3 days. I pick him up at noon! heres a photo they sent me last night:

Thanks for the answer! I'm on a quest for the best food for him. For some reason its hard to find detailed sites on these guys. I think I'm going with Orijen though.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I recommend Orijen, EVO, Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Orijen is a great food! I'm glad you chose a high quality food for your puppy! Also puppies that start on high quality food usually don't have problems with them like diarrhea or loose stools.

Some older dogs that have been on lower quality food all their life find it harder to transition to a good food.

Oh and you don't need large breed formula at all! 30 lbs is still quite a small dog. Large breeds grow up to be 70-100 lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
honestly I was thinking about going with wellness at this point. the Orijen is scaring me because of the high protein. wellness has a really simple ingredient list. i am scared orijens high protein is gonna hurt my pups kidneys and growth problems. i like orijin because it already has Glucosamine and Chondroitin included on top of being a high rated food though. any bull terrier people on here? help me out! thanks for everybodies help to far!

·
Registered
188 Posts
honestly I was thinking about going with wellness at this point. the Orijen is scaring me because of the high protein. wellness has a really simple ingredient list. i am scared orijens high protein is gonna hurt my pups kidneys and growth problems. i like orijin because it already has Glucosamine and Chondroitin included on top of being a high rated food though. any bull terrier people on here? help me out! thanks for everybodies help to far!
It is better that your dog has a high protein diet. Despite what many people may tell you, dogs are naturally carnivores, not omnivores. Though dogs can digest a range of fruits and vegetables, their gut is not designed for these types of foodstuffs. Kibble requires a certain amount of carbohydrate based products to help the kibbles stick together, however that doesn't make it beneficial. Dogs have not developed a need for fruits, vegetables, or grains in their diets and thus whatever CAN be digested is converted right into fat.

When you feed your dog, you should be asking yourself, "What would a wolf eat?" Dogs digestive tracts are identical to that of a wolf. For that reason, a high protein diet provides optimal nutrition. I feed my dog a raw diet which consists of about 95% meat, with the other 5% being composed of eggs, yogurt, or the occasional veggie for a treat. However, I expect most people to prefer the convenience of kibble.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Well it's fine if you don't want to feed high protein. There are a lot of stories/myths out there saying high protein can cause kidney or liver problems. Most people feeding it have said these are false but you can never be sure.

My favorite brand of non-high protein food is regular Innova (not Innova EVO). I think they have a shorter ingredient list with absolutely no fillers.

Wellness does have 1 or 2 fillers if I remember correctly. I think it's tomato pomace and rice bran. Some people think these are good sources of fiber, but I don't like it in my dog's food because it makes her poop rock hard.

Here are the ingredients lists of Wellness and Innova. Both are the puppy formulas.

Innova:
Turkey, chicken, chicken meal, barley, brown rice, rice, chicken fat, herring, flaxseed, natural flavors, apples, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, potassium chloride, herring oil, sea salt, sunflower oil, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dried chicory root, direct-fed microbials, lecithin, rosemary extract, vitamins/minerals

Wellness:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaneoic acid), Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Rye Flour, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Ground Millet, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride] Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus

Don't get me wrong, both are extremely good foods. You really can't go wrong with either one but my preference is Innova. I'm still feeding it while in the process of switching to Orijen. If my dog doesn't do well on high protein or find it too rich, Innova will always be the brand I'm going back to. She's done extremely well on it. Lots of energy, great coat, great teeth and no stink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts