Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I need you to help me make sure I have everything in order. I bring Teagan my Westie pup home on Saturday and I am freaking giggly excited.:eek: She will be my first dog I train my myself so I want to make sure I do everything right. Now I hope I have everything I need to bring her home, and if I dont please tell me other wise or if I missed anything. I have read and re read Ian Dunbars book over and over and taken notes and I am going to be using his approach to training her and raising her.

I made a check list of everything I have for her
1) kennel
2) lots of dog toys and kongs
3) puppy pads
4) enzyme spray for when she makes mistakes
5) an X pen

I will be kennel training her at night, but durning the day she will have access to her X pen when I am at work. But someone is alway home durning the day to take her outside to pee.

When she gets her second shots I will be enrolling her is puppy classes, and getting her used to loads of different enviroments and people.

Anyother advice would be awesome. I want to make sure I am doing everything right. I dont want her to be my guinea pig. ha ha:p

Thanks again guys

Hayley

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Leash, collar/harness, treats, food/water bowl, dog tags, brush, toothpaste, toothbrush, nail clipper, shampoo, conditioner and most importantly poop bags!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you decided what dog food yet. It appears you got everything else covered.
-I am going to start her on oragon, but the breeder is giving me a bag of down food that the pups are on. I know its a very high quality food, but I dont remember what it is called. So I will just slowly wean her off her original stuff.

Leash, collar/harness, treats, food/water bowl, dog tags, brush, toothpaste, toothbrush, nail clipper, shampoo, conditioner and most importantly poop bags!
-ha ha I actually have all that covered already, just forgot to mention it.:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I know you said you have a crate and x-pen ( big fan!), but what about baby gates? I forgot to buy them and Chloe wasn't in her crate 24/7. I needed to block off some rooms when she was out & about with us. I had to go to Target the day after she came home as I totally forgot to buy them. I highly recommend them if you live in a house, esp if you have stairs! They are pretty cheap, too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you said you have a crate and x-pen ( big fan!), but what about baby gates? I forgot to buy them and Chloe wasn't in her crate 24/7. I needed to block off some rooms when she was out & about with us. I had to go to Target the day after she came home as I totally forgot to buy them. I highly recommend them if you live in a house, esp if you have stairs! They are pretty cheap, too.
-That is a great idea. I might have to do that when she gets bigger and leave her in the hall way. although I would have to buy too. I have actually priced them out when I went to walmart. but thanks for reminding me that is going on my shopping list!

Or even I could leave her in the living room. It is blocked off by french doors. We have a bird and we keep them shut when he is out so our other terrier Casey doesnt kill him, but thats a good idea I should keep her in there so she gets used to the bird and his sounds.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Just a note about socializing.

There is great importance in socializing Teagan to people, places and things before she has had her second set of shots. Her prime socialization period is between 7 and 13 weeks, pups usually have their second shots at about 12 weeks so you will have missed HUGE opportunities if you wait until then.

The biggest risks of taking your pup out before her second shots is parvo and distemper. If you stay away from contact from unknown dogs, places where there may be dog feces (ie dog parks or the "popular" poo spot down the street) there is no reason you cannot take her out and pass her around for handling experience, seeing and hearing traffic noise etc. You should also see if you know anyone else with puppies that are healthy and young to socialize with PRE classes.

The long term risks regarding temperament and behaviours evident in undersocialized dogs far out weigh the small risk of safely exposing her to people, places and things. Many puppy classes nowadays recommend starting as early as nine weeks. Keeping her socialization to just your other dog is not sufficient.

I would also recommend (and I learned this one the hard way) that when you do start walking her, that you walk the two dogs separately as much as you can. It helps her learn the world is not a scary place without relying on her sibling's reactions. Once she has "found her way" to independence, you can add the other dog in. It's also BRUTAL trying to teach a puppy not to pick stuff up on the street, not to bark at other dogs and not to chew on the leash when you have TWO to keep track of.

Just something to think about, as a lot depends on where you live and ifyou have areas you can take him to.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey cracker thanks for that :)

I will be taking her out with me alot when I get her. And I do have a friend who has a 3 month old puppy that is a GSP. Hopefully she wont be too big for Teagan to play with.

This weekend is actually farmers days where I live so I might take her there I think all the noise and people will be good for her, but of course I wont let her on the ground and we will only be there for a little while.

but thanks for the help I really appreciate. Its a little overwhelming, because I want to do everything right for her, again thanks!:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts