Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Germany where there are a lot of ticks. I went to get my Malamute groomed to shorten her hair just a little so I could find the ticks easier. She needed to be groomed anyway since her hair was getting long. I went to a new person and she practically shaved her. This NOT at all what I wanted. I hate it, and my poor baby is even embarrassed. I've been reading that the coat could be ruined now and may not grow back the same. Is there anything I can do to help that? Also, is there anything I can do to help it grow faster?

PLEASE - NO rude comments on how awful that is or how horrible that is. I know it's horrible and I'm already upset. I don't need people reminding me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
griss - I am so sorry this happened to you and to your fur child :( I have had my fur son get some bad cuts too that were pretty hard on the eyes. I would call your vet and explain they would be the best person to answer your concerns.

Your fur daughter may not be embarrassed per say - but instead feeling "off" without her normal coat. BUT then you know her better then anyone so maybe she really is upset. Give her tons of mommy TLC and she will be fine - I am sure you already are doing this :)

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Feed a good quality food with a fish oil supplement. You can just get the gel caps of fish oil that's for humans and squeeze a gel cap on her food once per day. Some health food stores sell bottles of fish oil that you can measure a small amount into a spoon- start with a small amount to prevent upset stomach as it is a fat. For a Mal, probably 1/2 teaspoon per day would be fine.

Fish oil is good for the skin and the coat; I doubt it will make hair grow faster as I don't think anything can change that, but it will help her to have healthy (not dry) skin and possibly help the coat grow back thickly like it should. Also tends to reduce shedding.

If her skin is showing, she may need sun protection and remember that her coat insulated her not just from cold but from heat so you might find her more sensitive to the temperature. Outside temps and inside, like laying on a cold floor or a hot concrete patio.

I doubt she's embarrassed but it simply feels weird to her. My friend's dogs (border collies, also double coated long haired dogs) were shaved without permission by her roommate. They looked funny and felt a little funny but their coats are growing back okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. We already feed her a fish based food. It's a local brand that mixes with water to make it easier to eat, as she already has a sensitive stomach. Preservatives are not allowed in any foods over here, human or animal, so we know we're getting at least a decent brand, and this one does not have many fillers as many do. There's no skin exposed, but it is really short, almost to the skin. Thankfully it rains a lot here, so it doesn't have time to get terribly hot. I spoke to the groomer after I got home and the lady apologized saying she didn't mean more harm than good and thought she looked beautiful. Some may think she is and my neighbors have said she doesn't look all that bad, but I get terrible looks while outside with her as if I did something so wrong. I would never have chosen this, but I really don't appreciate the looks I'm getting. I have become a protective mommy. :) I will continue using the fish food. Also, she loves tuna, so I'll start adding a little of that back into her diet to help keep her from getting dry skin. Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm desperate and feel so bad for her.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Awwww. I agree with Shell to feed your furbaby a human grade fish oil capsule daily. Since she's already on a fish based food, it should agree with her tummy. My poodle's coat grows like crazy and he's on a fish food and fish oil. I have to clip him every 3-4 weeks to look decent, rather than every 6-8 weeks, as suggested. I would also brush her frequently, to stimulate the natural oils in her skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts