Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear from other dog owners who have small toy breeds that are paper trained. I can use some advice when it comes to training my toy dog...Half Maltese Half Poodle. She has a pen I keep her confined with the wee wee pads. She goes on the wee wee pads in the pen. In the laundry room there are a few pads there. She went on them earlier today but later she went near the back door where there are no wee wee pads:eek: . Am I doing something wrong? HELP Advice needed and paper training tips will be gladly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Are you paper training her and taking her outside? If so, she might be eliminating by the door because you don't get her out in time. If not, are you using a good enzyme cleaner? If you don't, the scent will remain and encourage her to eliminate there again.

Hope this helps . . .

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm paper training her. I taker her outside on the deck to get fresh air and she goes on the deck to LOL. What do I do now? I do use a good Enzyme Cleaner. The wee wee pads in the laundry room are just 2 feet from the back door. I did scold her for it. I told her NO Bad dog. No hitting and I caught her doing it cause if you dont and you encounter it later its not going to make sense to scold them right then and there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first thought is why are you teaching her to pee in the house? IMO, papper training only encourages the dog to pee in the house. My advice is to get her outside every 1/2 hour. reward potty outside. Maybe walk her around the house on a leash so that you can supervise her behavior until she is old enough to hold it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How many pads are you using? When they are first learning, it's good to start with three or four pads so they don't have to worry too much about aiming. :D Then, as they consistently go on the pads, remove them one at a time until you're down to one or two.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you teach a dog or puppy to use the bathroom outside and at night use the wee wee pads or is that just way to much?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you are going to teach her to potty on wee wee pads, you may never get her to potty outdoors at all; and if you ever plan to, now is the time to do it, when she is really young and very teachable! Just because she is a toy dog doesn't mean she can't go potty outdoors like any other pooch!

I would start over, "if" you want to teach her to use the outdoors as her restroom, using crate training methods.

Feed her 3-4 small meals a day; this way you will 'know' when she should have to go potty. Usually 1\2 hour after they eat=need to go out! Same with drinking...a good drink and 15-20 minutes later=potty time! The smaller the puppy the more frequent the schedule for a while.

As far as the crate, you want to put her in it when you can't really watch her, if you have to be gone, and at night. Depending on how old she is, you will want to bring her out a few times in the night, till you know she is sleeping through the night, and not having to potty. My poodle puppy slept through the night (8 hours)by the time he was 4months old; I still got up, but if he didn't wake up, I let him sleep.

If you still want to train her to potty on the wee wee pads (as a 'sole' source) I would confine her to one room, using baby gates, and make sure there is a decent sized area covered for her. I have heard the bed pads (for people) are even better, bigger and cheaper than wee wee pads...something you might look into if you want to teach her to use them longterm.

I think teaching a dog to potty indoors and outdoors can be really confusing, so I would do one or the other; toys can really be difficult either way, so I would keep that in mind...you might have a really long road ahead of you!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going to teach her to potty on wee wee pads, you may never get her to potty outdoors at all; and if you ever plan to, now is the time to do it, when she is really young and very teachable! Just because she is a toy dog doesn't mean she can't go potty outdoors like any other pooch!

I would start over, "if" you want to teach her to use the outdoors as her restroom, using crate training methods.

Feed her 3-4 small meals a day; this way you will 'know' when she should have to go potty. Usually 1\2 hour after they eat=need to go out! Same with drinking...a good drink and 15-20 minutes later=potty time! The smaller the puppy the more frequent the schedule for a while.

As far as the crate, you want to put her in it when you can't really watch her, if you have to be gone, and at night. Depending on how old she is, you will want to bring her out a few times in the night, till you know she is sleeping through the night, and not having to potty. My poodle puppy slept through the night (8 hours)by the time he was 4months old; I still got up, but if he didn't wake up, I let him sleep.

If you still want to train her to potty on the wee wee pads (as a 'sole' source) I would confine her to one room, using baby gates, and make sure there is a decent sized area covered for her. I have heard the bed pads (for people) are even better, bigger and cheaper than wee wee pads...something you might look into if you want to teach her to use them longterm.

I think teaching a dog to potty indoors and outdoors can be really confusing, so I would do one or the other; toys can really be difficult either way, so I would keep that in mind...you might have a really long road ahead of you!
Thanks so much for the advice Sophie. I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i really wouldn't put wee wee pads in more than one place in the house - it's not necessary. just watch her, and when you see the signs, even if they are false, take her to her wee pad or outside. there's nothing you can do, except keep on it. she will learn in no time. as far as not going on her wee pad, just clean it like you're doing, but don't scold her (you don't scold a baby for going in her pampers... you just clean her and show her the right place to go potty). just ignore her, and when she goes in the right place, offer lots of praise and treats. she will learn, trust me, be patient.

i live in nyc, and wee-pad trained my dog. when she was able to go outside, i simply praised her when she went on the wee pads, but gave her lots of praise and chicken liver when she did it outside. but by the time she can go outside, you can pretty much better predict when she has to go, and will be easier to potty train her to go outside. either way, she will have accidents, it's normal - it will stop with time. hang in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts