Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lab mix that a was a 8 month old rescue/shelter pup when we got him. Now he is 2 years old, and although he has always played a little on the rough side, now he is running across the underground electrice dog fence we have and biting people. Luckily, we have always been outside when the two incidents have occured and the bites were not bad, but he looked upset and I had a hard time controling him. There was another occasion when we had another person get out of their car on our property an he bute them on their leg, he was barking and was really upset. I dont know what sets him off?? He gets pleanty of exercise and attention. We dont play rough with him, we try to use positive reinforcement with him and we think its working until he goes off and bites someone. I have owned many dogs and have never had this problem. We need help, If not we are going to have to give him up and we really dont want to do that.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Most electric fences will not contain a large dog, as you've found out. They quickly figure out that they can tolerate the quick zap, then they're free. You must contain him better (build a proper fence or keep him on a leash) or you're courting a lawsuit and possibly an order from the police to have your dog put down as a dangerous dog. You also need a professional trainer to help you figure out what to do. Since he's now 2 years old, this isn't a puppy thing any longer.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Yes in all probability if he's not kenneled properly he will hurt somebody seriously. With many dogs the electric fences are useless. There is no trainer that will fix this so dog can be trusted when left out.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Electric fences are worthless with dogs of any size. The first time they figure out that the zap is short and freedom is long, the fence is gone.

You need to stop leaving him outside! There is no fence, you know he bites people, why are you setting him up to bite?

So, put him on a leash for now and go to iaabc.org to find a behaviorist to help you with this problem before you end up having to put him to sleep and pay someone a whole lot of money in a lawsuit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We DO NOT leave him outside alone. We are very aware of what might happen, we are not irresponsible dog owners. When the incidents occured (if you read my post) we were outside with him, and luckily we were right behind him to retrive him. Once we figured out he was getting out of the fence, we knew we could never leave him alone outside. If he is ever out by himself we put him on a run but its so hot here (105 today) we cant leave him out there long. We are very aware of what might happen if he were to get loose on someone. That is why I am try to get help. I love my dog, but have never dealt with a dog like this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We DO NOT leave him outside alone. We are very aware of what might happen, we are not irresponsible dog owners. When the incidents occured (if you read my post) we were outside with him, and luckily we were right behind him to retrive him. Once we figured out he was getting out of the fence, we knew we could never leave him alone outside. If he is ever out by himself we put him on a run but its so hot here (105 today) we cant leave him out there long. We are very aware of what might happen if he were to get loose on someone. That is why I am try to get help. I love my dog, but have never dealt with a dog like this.
Even though you are out there with him, he is still getting away from you. Keep him on a lead or even rope he can still play but he can't cause anyone harm. I am thinking of the safety of your dog. It takes one bad incident with the wrong person and you dogs life could be over when it could have been avoided.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand. I want him to get his energy out since we have such a huge yard for him to play in but I guess from now on he is going to have to be on a leash or run:( I have an appt with my vet tomorrow to talk about the situation and hopefully he can give me a name of a trainer.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been working with a trainer for a few months now. I had a dog who I considered very Dog Aggressive. Long story short I had a long term foster I wanted to adopt but didn't think the crate and rotate approach was fair to do to dogs for the rest of their lives. So before I adopted him we started training. Do we still have issues, yes. She will never be the type of dog you can take to dog park but she is now a very different dog. Yes we still have some issues but they are nothing like before the training.

I also understand because I had to live in apt for a few years with two active dogs and off leash time was few and far between. They are ways to keep him active and exercised with out off leash running. Getting professional help is the best advice I can give you aside from building a fence.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
She will never be the type of dog you can take to dog park but she is now a very different dog.
Since I am a trainer (soon to be retired) I am saying is with a couple bites already there would be no way that I would ever tell a client after training for this type of problem that all was hunky dory.

Professional help is fine (depending on caliber of trainer or behaviorist involved) but you are gambling with your dog and your home. If the dog bites somebody severely the dog trainer or behaviorist will be long gone. I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Since I am a trainer (soon to be retired) I am saying is with a couple bites already there would be no way that I would ever tell a client after training for this type of problem that all was hunky dory.

Professional help is fine (depending on caliber of trainer or behaviorist involved) but you are gambling with your dog and your home. If the dog bites somebody severely the dog trainer or behaviorist will be long gone. I'm just sayin'...
I never said she bit anybody. She has never been HA at all. I think you got my post confused with the OP.

Just want to clarify - I thought my dog was very DA, turns out I am paranoid.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I understand. I want him to get his energy out since we have such a huge yard for him to play in but I guess from now on he is going to have to be on a leash or run:( I have an appt with my vet tomorrow to talk about the situation and hopefully he can give me a name of a trainer.
When you talk to the trainer, be sure to tell him or her that your dog has already bitten people, not just threatened them. Even trainers who will accept dogs with such biting issues - and not all will do that - will handle them very differently from dogs that don't have that issue, for obvious reasons. Trainers don't want to be bit either if they can avoid it

Dog aggression directed toward humans is VERY different from dog-on-dog aggression and is usually unrelated to things like activity level and amount of exercise. Seeing an experienced trainer is the responsible thing to do.

Also, you cannot allow this dog to be unconfined EVEN IF YOU ARE PRESENT. Under TN law, your dog is already considered aggressive and you are opening yourself up to some serious legal consequences if you don't take action to prevent him from attacking again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will absolutely warn the trainer about the dog and his biting, I would never want to put anyone in harm. Most of the comments here sound as thou there is no hope for him....??? I TOTALLY agree that he can never be left alone and WILL always have to be on a leash or run BUT..... I would like to get a trainer that can help us and tell us what we are or need to do to make things better, or what we are doing wrong. I need someone from the outside to come in and offer a fresh perspective, as sometimes this can help. I am not going to give up on him yet. Tucker (dog) is really a big cuddly baby, who doesn’t realize his strength. He is a really sweet dog... I will post pics soon when I can figure out how to get them on here. He also, gets along great with my kids, little dog and cat....

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I never said she bit anybody. She has never been HA at all. I think you got my post confused with the OP.
No confusion, was just saying that the dog park or DA is not as serious as HA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I will absolutely warn the trainer about the dog and his biting, I would never want to put anyone in harm. Most of the comments here sound as thou there is no hope for him....??? I TOTALLY agree that he can never be left alone and WILL always have to be on a leash or run BUT..... I would like to get a trainer that can help us and tell us what we are or need to do to make things better, or what we are doing wrong. I need someone from the outside to come in and offer a fresh perspective, as sometimes this can help. I am not going to give up on him yet. Tucker (dog) is really a big cuddly baby, who doesn’t realize his strength. He is a really sweet dog... I will post pics soon when I can figure out how to get them on here. He also, gets along great with my kids, little dog and cat....
This I understand and is what I was saying earlier. I was the one who got the training, not so much my dog. I learned what I needed to do to control my dog and enhance her life. Others may disagree but I feel putting a dog down should be the last resort. I feel like you are doing the right thing in getting professional help. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Nobody here is going to recommend putting a dog to sleep as the first option for a dog that bites. I certainly wouldn't advocate giving up without trying. However, Tucker's problem is not that he doesn't know his own strength. Dogs are very precise with their teeth, if he didn't want to bite, he wouldn't. The fact that he is biting isn't an accident.

You need to be very realistic about your dog's issues if you are to have any hope of saving him. I know it sucks to have a less than perfect dog, but the more you make excuses, the less you can deal with the reality of the situation, which is that you have a dangerous dog.

I had a dog who was severely dog aggressive. I was realistic about it. I kept him away from other dogs. He never went outside without me on the other end of the leash. We did not go to parks or gatherings or any place you might see a lot of dogs. I did train him to behave while on walks, but I wasn't about to push it by hanging out in the vet's waiting room with 6 other dogs in a tiny space.

Because I was realistic about my dog's problem, in 12 years that I had him, he bit one dog. That's only because I didn't know he would bite other dogs at that time. Meanwhile, we have at least one visitor a week on this site who have DA dogs that have bitten 6 dogs in the last 2 days. Why were they allowed to do that? Because their owners just won't accept reality.

I'm sure Tucker is great with you and your family, but he's not at all safe with anyone else, and you need to accept that reality and deal with it. And getting professional help is the second step in dealing with it. Keeping him away from other people is the first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, coming to a reality check about your dog never being in a social enviroment is the first step. It was wakeup call, an not what we expected but we have accepted it. Now we have to totally change the way we do things, which is an adjustment for us all and we need HELP, THAT is why I am here asking for advise.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
1. teach Bite Inhibition (new Owner section, Sticky: The Bite Stops Here).
2. See my Post in the topic: "Do Lab puppies ever stop nipping."
3. Human aggression can be a result of inadequate socialization, as long as there was no other traumatic event. Find a few dog-savvy people, and start some socialization exercises, having people come over and toss the dog a few small treats, one at a time. The goal with puppies is to introduce 100 very different people in the space of a month. You might go more slowly with your dog. Most dogs won't bite if you toss them treats. ???
4. When he has bitten, did he growl and snarl before he attacked; or did he just bark; or did he just run at the people... and then they reacted, so he chased? Each behavior represents a different mindset.

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
If you are out with him, there is not a thing wrong with using a long tether so he can still run and play. The danger of those things is in a-) dogs living on them, and b- ) hanging, and c-) other dogs being able to get to him. Supervised use is FINE, and might be a good option - just make sure it's not so long he can reach your poperty boundary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts