Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a female Pembroke Welsh Corgi 2 weeks ago that is 11 weeks old. At times she is very sweet and cute, but other times very fiesty. I do need some advice, if possible, in a few areas. Any recommendations or tips would be extremely helpful as this is my first time owning a dog!

I have mostly been taking her outside to potty during the day every 2-3 hours and am usually successful. I have been crating her to get her to hold her bladder a bit longer. However, at times, going outside has turned into a scavenging event for her. She eats any branch in sight, and sometimes other objects such as plastic, paper, etc and fights me when I try to take it out of her mouth. I am worried because sometimes she manages to find things like little pieces of glass. She has also growled at me when I attempt to take things like branches out of her mouth. How do I prevent her from doing this scavenging and get her to go potty instead?

When we are inside, I feel as if she has reverted in her training. The breeder originally trained her on newspaper and when I brought her home, she wouldn't go on a potty pad. When I tried newspaper, she was successful a few times, but then stopped going on it. Lately she has been refusing to go on the pad probably 90% of the time, and even when I spray the odor stuff on it, she licks it instead. Unfortunately I feel she tries to pee inside when I'm not looking for 5 minutes and it is usually not in the same spot. There is one particular area where she has gone multiple times and no matter how much Nature's Miracle I spray, she still goes. If I put the potty pad there, she shreds it instead.

Lastly, she enjoys play biting, which is not so fun for me or my friends who want to come visit her. Sometimes they are very forceful and hurt a lot, and sometimes the bites cause cuts that even bleed. I have tried ignoring her a few times but I'm not sure if she gets it yet. I have also tried the "No!" and light bop on the nose. Everything I have tried has been unsuccessful. She goes through phases where she tries to chase your hand and bite it, and frequently with visitors who come over to see her. It's no fun when my friends can't even come over to play with her without getting hurt!

I know she is smart - she already knows how to sit, shake, high five, down, and jump. But the behavior and potty training has been really frustrating for me - and I am quite sick at the moment as well! Please, any any ANY advice will be helpful and I will greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not sure I can really help much, but what works for my pup with play biting is yelping. it has to be consistent though, as does anything for it to work.
She came to use at six months with a horrible biting problem. She never drew blood, but she wasn't exactly gentle. Every time she laid her mouth on me - or anyone else (except the boys, they were just too stubborn to admit they could yelp) - I'd let out a very loud and high pitched 'OUCH'. She immediately let go and checked me out 'cause she thought she hurt me. It made her realize that it does hurt, and that putting her mouth on people is a no no.
When she got really excited and fiesty I'd redirect her to something she could chew on and play a game of tug with her. She's a very tug motivated dog :p

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have mostly been taking her outside to potty during the day every 2-3 hours and am usually successful. I have been crating her to get her to hold her bladder a bit longer. However, at times, going outside has turned into a scavenging event for her. She eats any branch in sight, and sometimes other objects such as plastic, paper, etc and fights me when I try to take it out of her mouth. I am worried because sometimes she manages to find things like little pieces of glass. She has also growled at me when I attempt to take things like branches out of her mouth. How do I prevent her from doing this scavenging and get her to go potty instead?

The picking up and attempted eating of junk on the ground is pretty common in puppies. Next time she gets a hold of something you don't want her to have, try trading her a treat for the object. She will have to let go of the item to have the treat. I do this with Zoey, but now she purposefully brings me objects she isn't supposed to have.. just to get the treat.. LOL.. It works quite well though.

When we are inside, I feel as if she has reverted in her training. The breeder originally trained her on newspaper and when I brought her home, she wouldn't go on a potty pad. When I tried newspaper, she was successful a few times, but then stopped going on it. Lately she has been refusing to go on the pad probably 90% of the time, and even when I spray the odor stuff on it, she licks it instead. Unfortunately I feel she tries to pee inside when I'm not looking for 5 minutes and it is usually not in the same spot. There is one particular area where she has gone multiple times and no matter how much Nature's Miracle I spray, she still goes. If I put the potty pad there, she shreds it instead.
Try to keep her potty area to just one spot.. Either inside on a pad, or outside in the yard. It will be much less confusing for her to learn where it is you want her to go.

Lastly, she enjoys play biting, which is not so fun for me or my friends who want to come visit her. Sometimes they are very forceful and hurt a lot, and sometimes the bites cause cuts that even bleed. I have tried ignoring her a few times but I'm not sure if she gets it yet. I have also tried the "No!" and light bop on the nose. Everything I have tried has been unsuccessful. She goes through phases where she tries to chase your hand and bite it, and frequently with visitors who come over to see her. It's no fun when my friends can't even come over to play with her without getting hurt!
For this, when she nips at you, say 'Ouch!' or whatever your choice of words would be, and then immediatley stop playing with her. This way she learns that 'when I do this, the game ends, and I don't want that.'

·
Banned
414 Posts
I agree with both posts above. Sounds like this pup needs more run and play exercise to get rid of some energy. I would also enroll in some puppy classes as you have multiple problems and to help socialize her.

My mom has a GSD that was a rock eater for about a year. Every time that we went out we took some bitter apple with us and sprayed everything that she could swallow. It was a major pain, but it worked.

A corgi is a herding dog so she will need lots of excercise and stimulation to keep her from getting bored and finding her own fun.

Lots of luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts