Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Is there no hope?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 year old male and female dachshund. My female is very good about letting us know when she needs to go out and she will not use the bathroom in the house period. My male, however is the complete opposite! He never lets us know when he needs to go out and will poop and pee in the house! So we let him out very often when we are home. (They both stay in a crate when we are gone) This has worked well since we moved into our new home. However, he has now been pottying in the house! Its driving us nuts and its ruining everything! We try to discipline him and taking him out after he does this. We've tried praising him when he pottys outside. We've tried putting his nose in it. We've tired EVERYTHING. And when he does go in the house, he hides because he knows hes not suppose to do that. We are at the end of the rope with him. What do we do? He isn't fixed, which we think that getting him fixed will help some, but until then what do we do? He woke me up last night at 2:30AM peeing in our bedroom on our carpet! What do we do???

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Have you had them since they were puppies?
If that is the case, this guy was never really potty trained to begin with, if he still feels that going pee/poop in the house is acceptable. Dachshunds are notoriously challenging to potty train, after all.

I would suggest going back to the basics of potty training with him, as if he was a very young puppy.
- Do not give him any freedom in the house unless you are absolutely sure he is "empty". This does not mean he has to be crated at all times, it just means that he cannot be free to roam unseen. You should always have your eyes directly on him so you can see the signs, and prevent accidents.
- Keep your eyes on him at all times. Yes, it's a hassle, but so is cleaning up messes and having ruined carpet and possessions. And, it won't last forever. It's similar to what parents do when their babies learn to crawl. They follow around behind them when they are on the move to make sure they are ok. Do the same. When the dog is up and around and on the move, go see what he's up to and keep your eyes on him.
- When you CAN'T keep your eyes directly on him, like when you are showering, cooking, doing chores, then crate him for that short period of time, so he isn't free to wander the house and pee/poop inside.

Some dogs don't have any issues with potty training, like your other one. Some do. For dogs, going potty isn't gross or private the way it is for humans, so they tend to just do it wherever and whenever they need to. Your goal would be getting him to see that outside is the place to do it. The best way, in my opinion, is by PREVENTING accidents. You can do this by not giving him the chance to have any accidents, watching him all the time, and limiting where he's allowed to go.

The more you can PREVENT accidents, the quicker he will be at getting into the habit of only pottying outside, as it is becoming the only place he's actually allowed to potty.

I'm not sure what you mean by disciplining, but, a few words of advice: punishing accidents often can backfire and cause potty hangups. Dogs don't think exactly the same as humans, the connections they make when punished aren't the same connections we'd make. So, if you punish for going pee in the house, the dog may assume that going pee at all is bad, and he may try to hide it so he won't be found doing something that will make you angry. Or, the dog may assume that for some reason, you get angry when you find pee/poop, so they will try to hide it. It can also make dogs shy about pottying in front of you, which can make taking them out to potty difficult.

Dogs don't hide because they are aware they did something wrong. They don't have a system of right/wrong like we do. That's a pretty common misconception. They hide (or cower, or slink, or lower their eyes), but that is called an "appeasement behavior". They do this to try to appease us, or make themselves seem unopposing. They are reading OUR emotions (dogs are very good at that), and if we're angry or frustrated with them, they will know that, and display appeasement behaviors.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your help! I'm going to start trying different techniques when I get home today. Yes, we have had him since he was a puppy and have worked with him ever since :( I feel like a horrible parent the more I read about how to fix the problem.

Any other advice is welcomed!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I agree with doxiemommy - you can't let him out of arms reach for a second if he isn't crated! It's back to Day 1 puppy training! Out of the crate and right outside, tons of praise if he pees/poops, if not go back in and keep him near you on leash, and go back out again in another 15 minutes, repeat until he goes, then he can have some play time for a bit, supervised, then it's back to the leash or the crate.

You say that you're letting him out -- are you going out with him? He could just be going out and wandering around and coming back. You should make sure you go out with him every time to instantly reward the behavior AND to be sure is IS going outside.

Also, every single time he goes in the house it should be treated with an enzymatic cleaner.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
We try to discipline him and taking him out after he does this. We've tried praising him when he pottys outside. We've tried putting his nose in it. We've tired EVERYTHING. And when he does go in the house, he hides because he knows hes not suppose to do that. We are at the end of the rope with him.
Please stop doing this, dogs do not understand punishment, and as said, he is not hiding because he knows he's done wrong, he's hiding because he has come to associate his pee/poop and your presence with danger. He is trying to appease you to protect himself. As already mentioned, make sure you have eyes on him at all times when he is out of his crate, tethering his leash to you works really well. Always make sure that you go outside WITH him, and when he does go, throw a party, give him REALLY good treats, something he only gets for going potty. Tiny bits of boiled chicken or hot dogs work really well. You can turn this around, but it's going to take some real time and effort to do now that he associates peeing in front of you with punishment.

·
Registered
291 Posts
One trick we use from day one with all our pups has been to teach them to toilet on newspaper. You can then move the newspaper towards a door and soon enough out the door to where you want them to toilet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts