Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old wiener dog . We have had him since he was 6 weeks old . We cage trained him . He will be in his cage all day while we are at work and when we get home he goes out side and pees and come back in . About 15 mins later I am finding pee puddles by my kitchen chair where he hicked his leg and peed. This has never been a issue before . Yes he has had accidents because we didn’t hear him whine to go out but this issue that happening is not that . I have had to put diapers on my dog just so he can stay out of his cage and not ruin my house . I have one cat that has been here for 7 years and I don’t think that is the issue . I was thinking it maybe because he at the age that he wants a women ? I am clueless to why he just all the sudden peeing in my house . He is not fixed .

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is normal for puppies, use a training pad and wipe a little of his pee on it so he knows that he should pee on it when he needs to. My dog uses training pads sized 60 x 45 until now (he's a 5 yr old corgi) . We have these training pads inside the house since he was 2 months old..And I think you should never cage your dog when you are at work. Just leave his cage door open so he learns to consider your home as his own and he will not dare poop inside. He will tell you when he wants to go outside to poop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Male dogs can definitely mark just because they're boys, so sure, it's possible he's just hit the age. If that's the cause, breeding him would probably make him worse, not cure him, and I've known neutered males who were markers. Male dogs also sometimes get urinary tract infections, although it's not as common as with the girls, so you might want to have your vet check a urine sample, although it sounds more like marking.

Try treating him the same as you did for puppy house training and see if you can impress on him it's not to be done in the house. I've known people who kept belly bands on male dogs inside because they couldn't convince them this was unacceptable, but I'd sure give watching like a hawk and training a good try before giving in and going the belly band route.

·
Registered
378 Posts
IMHO, the dog needs more time outside on walks. Walk him until his leg lift is shooting dust, then you know his bladder is empty. Give a small treat reward each time he does a mark or piddle outside.

A quick 10-15 minute romp outside is not enough time to be shooting dust. Minimum walks for my 3 yo dog is 4X/day and 20-60 minutes each time. Although, he does get busy when the temperature drops, less sniffing more business.

A side note, my male dog is neutered and he marks.

Walks will likely solve this situation and some training for the dog and you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts